SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have problems after problems. Spent more than A$ 4000 on this monster.
First with oil leak in coolant box and got everything cleaned up and changed gasket head. new coolant box and replaced timing belt. The car mileage was $ 170 K ( $ 3000)

Next replaced cooler bypass kit and hose when oil leak did not stop. ( $ 500 )

Next changed radiator when coolant was everywhere one morning. ($900) including changing rear pad and a central muffler

My mechanic strongly recommended to get rid of this "crap" that why he said and stick to Toyota Camry.

But i have always wanted a Saab and thats what I got ...how disappointing.

Now new problem... creaking suspension noice when go over bump and grinding noise when reversed (Autotranmission).

So should I repair or trade off....can anyone Kind Saab lover offer a geniune advice to a frustrated and deeply disappointed Aussie here....

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Any car, anything, is no better that its existing service facilities, there are probably 20 Camrys to every Saab, much like the USA. Saab service seems to be not so good in Australia...
I take it these are dealer prices ...

Why the head gaskets ?
Toyota uses these numbers(20 to 1) to their advantage and are giving not so big now GM fits...everyplace...and I have a very good idea why..

You do have a high mileage car, most cars I know of will need these or similar repairs...

·
Registered
138 Posts
[QUOTE
First with oil leak in coolant box and got everything cleaned up and changed gasket head. new coolant box and replaced timing belt. The car mileage was $ 170 K ( $ 3000)

Next replaced cooler bypass kit and hose when oil leak did not stop. ( $ 500 [/QUOTE]

Did you get as far as the oil cooler?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Where abouts in oz are you? Your mechanic obviously doesn't like the car, so probably worth asking a different one.
If you're in melbourne try Triple S motors (http://www.triplesmotors.com.au/) near the city, I've had good referrals to them, and the couple of times I've been they've been great.
Thankfully the oil leaks in my 96' v6 are much less severe and not causing any problems.

Andrew

ps. hope I don't get in trouble for posting what sounds like and ad :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts