SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
I was looking for one of those when I bought my 900. I couldn't find one turbocharged with a 5-speed so I gave up. :roll: I love the body style though, always will.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nocluetim said:
I was looking for one of those when I bought my 900. I couldn't find one turbocharged with a 5-speed so I gave up. :roll: I love the body style though, always will.
Yeah, the one I'm looking at is an automatic.....which I swore I'd never buy again....since they always seem to go to junk. I love my 9-3 but I just feel like it isn't going to last as long as I want it to.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Volvo now that I've been looking to get one.:eek:

·
Registered
803 Posts
JoshuaTSP said:
Yeah, the one I'm looking at is an automatic.....which I swore I'd never buy again....since they always seem to go to junk. I love my 9-3 but I just feel like it isn't going to last as long as I want it to.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Volvo now that I've been looking to get one.:eek:
IMO, why buy something different? You know what needs to be done / has been done to your 9-3. You won't have that piece of mind with a different car. Keep the 9-3 and go to the GS website and buy her a new toy for even thinking about getting rid of her. :cheesy: :lol:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have both a 96 Saab 900se turbo, and a 96 Volvo 850 turbo (same engine, trans, ect. of the S70) and I have to say that I like the Saab a little more just because the Saab is manual and the Volvo isn't. But yes, Volvos are very reliable cars, and they are all my parents have ever driven/owned. We once had a 240 with 375,000 on it when we sold it. They are great cars, but they have issues just like any other type of car does. If you can find a 5-speed one you will be more that happy I think. Just make sure that you have it looked at by a dealer/really good indi shop before you buy it. In addition, if you want to tune it, you can get about 275 hp and 280 fb with just an ECU and 2.5 inch cat back exhaust.

EDIT: If I were you, I would stay away from any newer than a S70, my uncle (master Volvo tec.) says they all are junk, and are a pain in the a** to work on.
Also, my family has owned 3 850's and 2 240's, all auto and have never had any major problems before. If you want some more information/have questions on them, hit up Volvospeed.com, because there is some really good information on that site.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
white96850turbo said:
I have both a 96 Saab 900se turbo, and a 96 Volvo 850 turbo (same engine, trans, ect. of the S70) and I have to say that I like the Saab a little more just because the Saab is manual and the Volvo isn't. But yes, Volvos are very reliable cars, and they are all my parents have ever driven/owned. We once had a 240 with 375,000 on it when we sold it. They are great cars, but have they have issues just like any other type of car does. If you can find a 5-speed one you will be more that happy I think. Just make sure that you have it looked at by a dealer/really good indi shop before you buy it. In addition, if you want to tune it, you can get about 275 hp and 280 fb with just an ECU and 2.5 inch cat back exhaust.
The catch is the Volvo is a great deal. 72k miles for $7,250, looks to be in mint condition. I don't think it's a turbo either.:( I love the look, stylings, and the promise of 200k+ miles in the Volvos. Conversely, I like my Saab, and haven't had any trouble.

I just don't know what to do.:confused:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I know it's not the exactly the same but... My friend has a 2000 C70 with 75k. It is an awesome looking car and drives wonderfully. We are currently awaiting a new head gasket. The water pump is also toast and the tranny was replaced under warranty at 65k.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Frank_Drebin said:
My friend has a 2000 C70 with 75k. It is an awesome looking car and drives wonderfully...
I hope your talking about the coupe because the convertibles drive like s**t, the whole wind screen shakes in those things, it’s that bad.

Yea, that s70 looks nice and clean too, but I think you will like a Turbo better;)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
white96850turbo said:
I hope your talking about the coupe because the convertibles drive like s**t, the whole wind screen shakes in those things, it’s that bad.

Yea, that s70 looks nice and clean too, but I think you will like a Turbo better;)
It's a C70 coupe. I've never driven it hard or tried cornering in it. To tell you the truth, I expected alot more out of it. I was expecting a bullet proof 200-300k mile car but it's amost been completely rebuilt in it's first 75k.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Frank_Drebin said:
It's a C70 coupe. I've never driven it hard or tried cornering in it. To tell you the truth, I expected alot more out of it. I was expecting a bullet proof 200-300k mile car but it's amost been completely rebuilt in it's first 75k.
Yea, I've haven’t heard great things about the C70, but the 850, in my opinion, is totally different, my parents have an 850 turbo with 176,000 miles right now and has never had any major problems (my dad even uses non-synthetic oil, and regular gas!).

I think you should test drive one, and see how you like it, but as before I would say most 850's, S70's, and 240's (old but good) are the way to go. Also nothing with awd that is an early S70/xc70 (lots of problems with early awd system).

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
white96850turbo said:

Back in the 50s, to the 80s, Saab refused to manufacture a convertible, citing safety issues (roll-overs)....but now they do...They are special in a way, but, IMO, all the downsides are a bit much..

But I'd love to own and operate an old Ford roadster - just turn up the stereo to cancel out all the body noise and enjoy.:cheesy:

As far as the Saab vs Volvo goes...
Ride and comfort : Volvo ('89 740)
Fun and style : Saab ('97 900ng)
Durability : Volvo, but Saab is close, as usual
Performance : no contest - an unfair comparison as it is.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Get the Volvo - 9-3's require too much work to rectify their handling flaws before they become acceptable (IMO). My partner has an XC70 which although a bit of a barge is actualy quite a match in handling and the confidence thereof to my rather modded-out 900.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So were sitting at about 50/50?

I'm not as worried about the "fun to drive" factor anymore.....I just want something I can pay off, and still be driveable.

I had a '96 Sebring that basically died when I had $1k to go on payments. What a rip off. I need something to last and drive safely in the winters of WI.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
JoshuaTSP said:
I don't think it's a turbo either.:( I love the look, stylings, and the promise of 200k+ miles in the Volvos. Conversely, I like my Saab, and haven't had any trouble.

I just don't know what to do.:confused:
Then why are we discussing this?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CleveSaab said:
Then why are we discussing this?
:)

Because I wanted a Volvo in the first place........but there weren't any decent ones around when my last car died. SO........I'm exploring the option of trading my Saab for a Volvo. That is also why I'm so torn over it all. I can't decide if trading a perfectly good car for a new used Volvo is worth it?

I'm fibbing a little. My Saab isn't the angel I make it out to be.
Chronic exhaust rusting.
messed up grinding door locks.
offset front right tire (previous owner).
Scratches and a ding.
Faded emblems
small rattles.

That's just being nit-picky though. I also don't assume a Volvo is going be perfect either though.:confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts