SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at a 2005 9-3 Aero w, 51k miles. Drove it once, shake in front end.
Took wife to look, she loves car.......except for the "airbag malfunction" light stayed on. Also, in the center of the dash over the steering wheel an "I" would change up with a squiggly looking thing with a car symbol (I think as I was driving)
Now the salesman did say that the battery was dead when he went to pick up the car from the shop.
He says the front end wobble is tires, although they look fairly new.
Need some input from the experts...

·
Registered
864 Posts
looking at a 2005 9-3 Aero w, 51k miles. Drove it once, shake in front end.
Took wife to look, she loves car.......except for the "airbag malfunction" light stayed on. Also, in the center of the dash over the steering wheel an "I" would change up with a squiggly looking thing with a car symbol (I think as I was driving)
Now the salesman did say that the battery was dead when he went to pick up the car from the shop.
He says the front end wobble is tires, although they look fairly new.
Need some input from the experts...
Is the car at a SAAB dealership or used car dealership?
If it is at used car dealership be careful. Car might have been in a seriours collision thus the shaking and airbag malfunction.
Run a CarFax/AutoCheck/inspect visually.
Car symbol showing up is OK (ESP engage under slippery road condition), unless it is crossed out (ESP malfunction)

Follow your intuition. If something tells you no, don't buy.
Otherwise get it and enjoy Aero power :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Well, its a Cadillac dealer, but not Saab. They were talking about taking it to the auction since they know nothing about them. But I came along ;-)
Have always wanted one, but never been where I could get one. Had 6 kids, somehow vans seemed appropriate.
OK, the little car did have a line through it.
And what the heck is an ESP?
Are we talking major repair?
Or could it be it just needs a new battery.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Well, its a Cadillac dealer, but not Saab. They were talking about taking it to the auction since they know nothing about them. But I came along ;-)
Have always wanted one, but never been where I could get one. Had 6 kids, somehow vans seemed appropriate.
OK, the little car did have a line through it.
And what the heck is an ESP?
Are we talking major repair?
Or could it be it just needs a new battery.
ESP stands for electronic stability program, its basically a fancier version of traction control. If the light is on with a line through, it means that the system is off, and probably malfunctioning. I would be very wary with an airbag light + front end shimmy, that just sounds like a wrecked car there. Although, it could just simple stuff, could be a few bad sensors and in need of a front end alignment. I would check out the Carfax, if that looks good have the dealership repair everything before you buy it. If this one doesn't check out, there are plenty of decent Aeros to be had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again

You guys are good.
One last thing, its a convertible, would that make any difference? Or cause me to look at something else?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Sounds a little questionable. A slightly newer model with a few thousand less miles would have the 4 year/50,000 mi. factory warranty. I'd keep looking around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts