SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a used 9-5 wagon (with automatic for the wife) and am not sure to go with the 4 cyl or V6. I tried out a 99 4 cyl that I liked (a lot!) The deaker is pushing it by telling me that the 4 cyl has a timing chain and the V6 a timing belt. Therefore, the V6 needs more service (sooner). True?

My past Saab experience (about a dozen - 93 thru 9000 series) tells me that the chain needs replacing at about 100K miles. Still true? How often does the V6 timing belt need replacing? Are these both interference engines?

The other consideration is traction control (I want it). What years/models was it available? The 99 4 cyl I drove had enough power for us, but did not have traction control.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes the V6 does have a belt it is basicaly the GM unit as found in many UK cars but with a single turbo charger added, the first ever V6 single turbo charged engine produced if my memory serves me correctly.
As with all belts they do need replacing often Saab recomends 42,90 and 138,000 miles as for the chain my 9-5 is still on the original Chain at 150,000 miles with no signs of wear.
I beleive Traction control has been available from the start of 9-5 production,It was an option on all the range and later fitted as standard to the Aero's.
I hope you have success in finding what you are after and welcome to saabcentral :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
They are both very good engines in thier own way...
The 4 cylinder is the traditional saab engine, strong willing torquey smooth and very very reliable..
The timing could last anything from 70k - 180k miles... depends how its treated, serviced, quality of oil etc etc...

The V6 with its asymmetric turbo charging is an extremley smooth performer with nice low down punch thanks to the lpt!
The timing belt should be replaced every 60k miles, and I believe in the USA saab do the first one free!

This will be totally down to personal choice, test drive both and go with your gut instinct..
and to be honest traction control is not really needed on the 9-5... unless your silly with it!

Have fun, and do let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had similar issues when I bought my 9-5. I ended up with the V6. The 4 cylinder engine was good but in my opinion the V6 was smoother and quieter. Only time will tell how reliable the V6 is compared to the 4 cyl.

As far as traction control (and ABS for that matter) I grew up with rear wheel drive cars and none of the fancy features of modern cars. I could do without them. Now having said that there were a number of times this winter when both the ABS and TCS kicked in and did their role. I would probably feel a little better having my son drive something like this rather than a plain old car.

Then again he will not learn the same skills. Sort of like the stories we tell how when we went to school there were no buses or cars to drive us, we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 4 cyl turbo is more fun to drive. Gives a more spirited european feel , lighter and excelant agility. The v6 feels heavier and a liitle boring to drive , IMO.

·
Registered
735 Posts
which engine???

Sticke with the 4-cyl Turbo. Easier repairs and access to engine compartment. Performs very well and is pure form of Saab engineering. This engine follows the KISS philosophy of life. Keep it simple stupid :cheesy: :cheesy:

The V-6 has had more documented issues since its inception than the 4-cyl turbo has had since its inception.

My best comparison:

Do you want a Sherman Tank or a Yugo??

Good Luck,

d.wolfe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts