SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this on a few Facebook groups and got a lot of responses so I figured I'd post it here for posterity.

After spinning the nut on the power antenna housing replacing the mast for the third time, I was fed up. I searched all over the internet for solutions and finally discovered that Saab actually made a fixed antenna as a dealer repair option for customer complaints with the power antenna. That's what I read on some random forum anyway. I searched all over the web to find it at a decent price but only found it at State of Nine which tends to be a little pricey. I bit the bullet and order it.

Once I had it installed, I realized one major issue. I had to keep a wrench in my car and jump out to remove the antenna mast whenever I pulled up to a car wash. Thankfully, since this was now a standard fixed antenna, I could put whatever universal antenna on it I wanted. So, I ordered a solid aluminum antenna from eBay and am happy with the result.

I was a little uncomfortable getting a universal part for the exterior since I'm going for what I call an OEM+ look (especially anything I found on eBay) but I figured I'd have a little fun with it since it's a small detail. I think it looks pretty good. A bunch of people on Facebook agree with me at least and that must mean it's awesome right? :cool:

Product Links:

Fixed Antenna: http://www.stateofnine.com/index.php/saab-9-3-original-body-fixed-exterior-radio-antennae.html

Shorty Antenna: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221609856882?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

One note on the shorty antenna: When I was twisting it on, the carbon fiber part twisted off. The glue must be really cheap. It looked like rubber cement or something. I just picked up some 4400 psi epoxy and glued it back on. Took all of 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
looks great, I need to figure out a way to mount one though the rear windsheild wiper hole.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
My current solution has been bailing wire tucked behind the interior

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This is great, thanks to hisshadiness for putting this post together. I've been wanting to replace my retractable antenna.

For anyone who wants to make the mod, you can get the base from Eeuro for much less. It's a special order part, so ask for a quote.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
This is great, thanks to hisshadiness for putting this post together. I've been wanting to replace my retractable antenna.

For anyone who wants to make the mod, you can get the base from Eeuro for much less. It's a special order part, so ask for a quote.
good to know, thanks ;ol;

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just got the fixed antenna part myself, do you need to connect the drain on the fixed one as well?

The one from the motorized antenna is too short and the hose doesn't look like the same size either.

I guess I'm gonna go without and use the plug that goes into the antenna drain that's there.

Maybe I just answered my own question.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.