SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I been reading and reading and do not seem to find a sound quite discribed like this.

The sound is a short whirrrrpp. It kind of starts middle pitch and then accends in pitch, probably less than a second at pull offs when the engine is cold. The noise does not seem to happen at higher shifts or shift downs. It might even seem to do it more on a very easy pull off. Is this a turbo dump or something temperature related? One or twice I think I may have heard it quietly at low speed when just riding easy and steady. It just started a couple days ago. There is no way to recreate it outside the car that I have found since it happens when the car is moving. It will stop, at least so far, when the car warms up. There is not a sound at startup which I would worry is the sludge problem but maybe I am not understanding the forums.

Last week I had some throttle body problems that set off the check engine light and put it in limp home mode, just the high idle and no cruise version. I used Valvoline Throttle Body cleaner to clean up the inside and outside of the throttle body, reset codes and limp home mode, and ran injector cleaner through a tank of gas. Everything has been fine since until I started this noise a couple days ago.

I am just 1500 miles past an oil change with Mobile 1 fully Synthethic. The car is a 1999 9-5 SE with the factory ECU upgrade for the horsepower. It has 86000 miles on it. Automatic transmission. I have owned it for around 4 or five months. Replaced brakes and rotors, tires, PCVupgrade, repaired the Blend door and did the factory ECU upgrade. Great Car.

I would fix something preventively if this is a warning sign of an upcoming problem. Thanks for your help and ideas.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does not do it at start up.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I understand the panic part as I had read that thread before which probably prompted my post. But my noise is not at startup but when you pull off and and seems to do it several times. And I would not call it high pitched but more middle voiced. I was wondering if it might be the waste gate closing or opening.

I have been working for hours since my post so I decided to drive it down the road. It seems to only make the noise when I am moving. Maybe not "whirrpp" but "whooop" Could it be something to do with belts, pulleys or transmission?

If it really seems to have to do with the sludge problem, as much as I hate the idea, I need to know so I can try for a repair before damage.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
joeybob1 said:
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I understand the panic part as I had read that thread before which probably prompted my post. But my noise is not at startup but when you pull off and and seems to do it several times. And I would not call it high pitched but more middle voiced. I was wondering if it might be the waste gate closing or opening.

I have been working for hours since my post so I decided to drive it down the road. It seems to only make the noise when I am moving. Maybe not "whirrpp" but "whooop" Could it be something to do with belts, pulleys or transmission?

If it really seems to have to do with the sludge problem, as much as I hate the idea, I need to know so I can try for a repair before damage.
The easiest way to make sure you don't have a serious sludge problem is to pull of your cam cover and take some pictures for us.

Could be a wheel bearing?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I wondered about the dump valve, but you'd get that "hoot" as you backed off if that was the problem.

Could be a pulley perhaps :confused:

Noises are so hard to diagnose especially online :confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll try dropping the pan and cleaning it.

I think I could have time over the next couple days to drop the pan and clean it and the screen on the pickup tube. How many hours labor are we talking about? Are there gaskets or do you just use sealer? I have become too worried about it now to not clean out the sludge.:cry: Its kind of cold here but I think the sun will shine tomorrow?

I had my wife the car with me outside and I hear it some without the car moving. It may be getting more or not but I don't think I want to move it until I check it out.

I'm having trouble finding a thread with oil pan (sump) removal instructions. Could someone send or reply a link?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
233 Posts
come to think of it,my car occasionally makes a sound sort of like what he is describing.it sounds like "whoorp"and its not high pitched at all.it sounds like a burp,or a frog almost.but it doesnt always do it when its cold.like this morning it was 56 outside (which is nippy for south florida)and it didnt do it at all.the car had been sitting all night long and was stone cold.yet,ive had it make the sound when it was like 80 outside.

all my hoses are in good order,and the maintenance on the car has been correctly done,(within mileage limits,and full synthetic.)granted,i havent dropped the pan,so i cant be 100 percent sure it isnt sludge.could sludge form at sub 35,000 miles?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm tottally new to this too and my comment will probably be irrelevant but i've heard this noise too, except mine seems to come from the A/C. Since it's always on when i first start the car, i usually turn it off when i don't need it. When it makes the sound and i turn off the A/C the noise always goes with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts