SaabCentral Forums banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts
Great write up !!! Can't wait to get one. You mentioned that you can put the reverse lock guts back in with patience, does GS say it will work with it re-installed or just your guess
with my limited knowledge, just a query guys...:lol:

I cannot "rush" gear changes at the moment, I tend to have to leave it in neutral for a very short pause, before engaging the next gear. Does this mean something is on the way out, or needs adjusting ? I would assume that the shortshifter gives quicker gear changes, which I cant see working with my current gearbox/ clutch combo..:cry:

cheers
What Year car, did you change to the proper gearbox oil? early cars had the wrong stuff and the newer stuff fixed it right up ( if not you may need the trans update kit installed) and no, a short shifter will make it harder to get into gear!

Great write up !!! Can't wait to get one. You mentioned that you can put the reverse lock guts back in with patience, does GS say it will work with it re-installed or just your guess!
A brief conversation with Nick T suggested you can put the R-lock out stuff in, but it takes some patience to line it all up and make it properly work. I didn't bother trying, as it didn't seem like a big deal to leave it out.

What Year car, did you change to the proper gearbox oil? early cars had the wrong stuff and the newer stuff fixed it right up ( if not you may need the trans update kit installed) and no, a short shifter will make it harder to get into gear!
I did this on my 04 aero, I assume it has the right gearbox fluid.

Can you elaborate on this gearbox oil thing? I've got a 2001 so idk if it has the right stuff or not.

bump because it took me forever to find this thread again with abdukted1456's excellent write-up (used it for two cars now) using the google search even though I knew the thread was titled "Short Shifter".

If i sticky is ever made with links to threads with good write ups in them this one should definitely be in it :D

with my limited knowledge, just a query guys...:lol:

I cannot "rush" gear changes at the moment, I tend to have to leave it in neutral for a very short pause, before engaging the next gear. Does this mean something is on the way out, or needs adjusting ? I would assume that the shortshifter gives quicker gear changes, which I cant see working with my current gearbox/ clutch combo..:cry:

cheers
Anyone else? Mine does this too. The engine doesn't rev down quick enough to shift quick and often leads to missed shifts if I try it without a slight pause inbetween.

It's pretty annoying and would defeat the purpose of a shortshifter.

Anyone else? Mine does this too. The engine doesn't rev down quick enough to shift quick and often leads to missed shifts if I try it without a slight pause inbetween.

It's pretty annoying and would defeat the purpose of a shortshifter.
First try to change to the newer gear oil ( your car has the old non synthetic.) you need to fill empty fill empty to get all the old stuff out.
If that does not work there is a complete update kit it requires a rebuild sorry ( you can find the refill and rebuild info in the trans section of Genuinesaab reference section

First try to change to the newer gear oil ( your car has the old non synthetic.) you need to fill empty fill empty to get all the old stuff out.
If that does not work there is a complete update kit it requires a rebuild sorry ( you can find the refill and rebuild info in the trans section of Genuinesaab reference section
Thanks, but I'm not going near that. I've already put too much work into this damn car, I can live with it.

Yes I'm really interested in the length of the throws and the overall feel as well. I've had the SAAB savior for about 3 years now and while the throws are very short, it's difficult to get adjusted properly. Reverse is even more of a pain at times than with the stock shifter; you have to shift into 3rd first and then go for reverse sometimes. 2nd gear is not straight down but kindof a down and slightly right in an arc; it's hard to describe. It seems to get out of adjustment after a time too and I have to go back in and line everything up when the gears just seem like they are binding more than usual. According to Nick on the GS site the throws are not as condensed as the SAAB savior one, but if it's smooth and doesn't bind it may be a better solution overall...

Cheers.

Well I guess that I'm in the cool kids club now! Mine arrived today and I will be installing it tomorrow :)

Can't ****ing wait!!!!

This thing rocks! Giant thanks to Abdukted156 for an excellent writeup. I didn't re-use the Reverse Key Lock either since the bottom end of the gear stick actually goes much lower. That and I always leave manual cars in gear!

Again... Great write up but I have one tiny suggestion ;)

You don't have to use screwdrivers to remove the ash tray/storage bin or windows switch pack. Once you remove the leather skirt around the shifter you can apply pressure on the bottom of the tray and push it out. And if you remove the little coin slot above switch pack and use your fingers to push it up.

All in all it took me 2 hours to do which included re-doing a good bit of the trim since I lost the power lock button wire on the first go.

Drives like it should have from the very beginning!

07 aero possible GS shortshifter install

Question for those who has the GS shortshifter installed for several years, do you need periodic adjustment? I'm not mechanically hands-on at all, just want to survey the durability prior to having GS install it along with the tranny mount in 3 weeks or so...

Add me in the cool kids club. I just ordered it. Hope it works out as well as it did for everyone else.

ditto to the Can't ****ing wait!!!!
It's what manual saabs needed all along! I also recommend wrapping the shift lever bit that sits below the ballbearing with something otherwise there is a strong metallic clunk in 2nd and 4th

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.