SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used or experienced the saab savior short shifter?? Driving home today i realized how much i would love for my 9000 to have shorter shift throws, are there any other short shifters out there??

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
there is another guy out there that does aftermarket saab parts.. .i forget the website.. gimme some time and i'll try to find the link.

-=tristan=-

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
disregard that... i guess you helped me find that website again though :/... that's the one i was thinking of..... so.. no.

you could always try taking one from a junk yard (any spare) to a machine shop and seeing if they'll do the work... :/

-=tristan=-

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
I made one on my own for my '87. It took maybe 3 hours of work, and maybe $2.00 in cost. I'd never consider paying money to do that mod in a 9k, it's that easy.

Point is... it did make the shifts shorter, but also harder. I kept it then, when I upgraded to my '96 Aero, I decided I liked the long soft thows of the stock shifter better than the short hard ones.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, how do you go about making your own? What did you use for parts? and what do you mean by harder? engaging the gears??

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
harder, as in more difficult and more effort required to get into the gear as you have less leverage on the shorter stick.

-=tristan=-

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
and what do you mean by harder? engaging the gears??
Yep, engaging the gears and disengaging out of them. The shifter had a gummy feeling that prevented quick movements. It was nice to be able to shift hardly moving my wrist, but still I like the soft feeling of the stock shifter better.

How I did it? fixed the ball a bit higher on the shaft (it needs a hole to be drilled or a couple of grroves to be cut, it depends on the shifter), then installed the shifter mount on spacers to regain the necessary clearance. If you remove the shif boot and look under it, and know the basic principles under a short shifter, it's amazingly obvious how to make one in a 9k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts