SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the short shifter out of my parts car and put it into my 'vert. It worked fine in the parts car for a year. I did the shifter alignment as required. No issues. However, even with the car off (not running yet) I could not get into 5th or reverse. There's no reverse lockout mechanism or 5th gear guide installed at the moment. 1 to 4 are fine.

I thought it might just be the tranny being a little "out of line", so I pushed the car with my other car for a foot in 4th gear. I tried it again and it reluctantly got into 5th but still won't go into reverse. Note that I might just have tried harder... I'm not sure that the pushing helped 5th engagement.

Ideas? I can swap back the stock shifter and see what happens, but I'd prefer to avoid that before trying other solutions (the parts car is remote and the standard shifter has already been reinstalled there so there's a PITA factor involved and of course I'll be pulling this one again too. Ugh).

·
Registered
18,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any thoughts on this issue? I'm about to swap the original shifter back in just to prove it's not the tranny, but any help appreciated.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
There is very little room under the housing with the change in fulcrum point so it really needs to be spot on to get everything to align. Try either moving the whole housing around a little or slightly moving the shifter to one side when doing the alignment.

·
Registered
18,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is very little room under the housing with the change in fulcrum point so it really needs to be spot on to get everything to align. Try either moving the whole housing around a little or slightly moving the shifter to one side when doing the alignment.

Will do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts