SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been calling around for the GM88986814 short belt and have no issues finding the belt at local dealerships, but when i cross reference the belt at the local auto parts stores, they tell me that a 92.2" belt is what they have designated for my '99 9-3. Now, 92.2 inches is only 2341.88 MM which is quite a bit shorter than the 2470mm that the GM belt is. Theres a $20.00 price difference, which i know sounds trivial, but if I can save the $20 then I'd certainly like to do so. Any experience picking up belts at chain auto parts stores?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
When owners of the older model, the NG900, refer to a "short belt", usually, they mean they have bypassed a secondary idler pulley, a.k.a., the lower idler pulley. The belt used to do that is usually around 97 inches long.

The 9-3 model has only the upper idler pulley, but the sizes of the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley are not identical to the NG900. So, the "short" belt for an NG900 is not the same length as the short belt for the 9-3.

Using the lookup on partsamerica.com the 92-inch belt for a 9-3 can cost anywhere from $15 to $50.

A 97-inch belt for the short belt configuration on the NG900 can be from $16 to $44.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I was afraid I was going to end up with a belt either too long or too short. If the 9-3 calls for a 92 inch belt, then im off to autozone. Im changing the water pump and belt this sunday. Anyone know our coolant capacity off hand?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
According to Haynes, the capacity is 8.5 liter; thus 4 to 5 liter of a good anti-freeze should do the trick, depending on where you live and abode..

A filthy little trick of some American retailers is to jack up "import" prices, particularly if metrics are used.
The quality of the pulley is most important in the serpentine belt set up; for the belt itself , I'd go for Goodyear or OEM, avoid the cheap no-names...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I know this sounds stupid. Should I get a gallon of full strength anti-freeze and just mix it 50/50? I just dont know what im doing when it comes to draining/flushing the coolant system. When I worked on my toyo, it was as simple as a radiator drain plug and refilling the system with prestone 50/50 mix...but the more I search on the forum...the more I think thats NOT the way to go with my 9-3.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the thermostat housing have to be removed to change the water pump? Im just wondering if I should be picking up a thermostat housing gasket before I change the pump?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
9600 said:
Does the thermostat housing have to be removed to change the water pump?
No! they are on opposite corners of the engine. The only time you have to remove the thermostat housing is to change the thermostat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts