SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I successfully killed my rear shocks by overloading the car and driving it that way for a couple thousand miles.
It's at about 90,000mi right now so it needed shocks and struts anyways, it's like a boat at this point and the
rear takes even small bumps in a horrendous way now. I'm hoping the springs aren't shot in the rear, but have no idea
how to gauge whether that's the case or not.

I see on RockAuto that rear shocks are anywhere from $18 a piece (huh?) for Sensen brand shocks, to $95-100+ for Monroe or Sachs shocks.
For Sachs, it's $85 for "Sport" suspension, and $95 for "Standard" suspension, which also makes no sense to me (isn't sport better than standard?).

For strut inserts it's the same thing,
$25 for Sensen, $150 for Sachs Sport suspension, and $165 for Sachs standard suspension.

Then on EEuro they have "Professional Parts Sweden" brand for a little cheaper than Bilstein.
For Bilstein they have "Heavy Duty" and "Sport," heavy duty being the pricier of the two.

Can someone give me a rundown on the brands here, and what heavy duty vs sport on EEuro/standard suspension vs sport suspension
on rockauto means? Monroe? Sachs? Bilstein are obviously what everyone seems to prefer, is there really a noticeable difference though?

Maybe heavy duty shocks are good for people who occasionally load their car up?
Do the Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty across the board? I seem to recall that being the case.

If I get a Sensen part will my car explode in 5000 miles?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I noticed that on Eeuro for the struts they sell 'strut inserts' rather than the whole assembly. I'm wondering how likely it is that I'll be able to re use the strut assembly at 90,000 miles. It looks like crap. Worried that I'll get strut inserts but not be able to get the old ones out of the assembly.

Any info on this would be helpful. I'm almost about to just get the bilstein HDs while using the $ saved on not having someone else to do the later as justification.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts