SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just attempted to post a similar thread myself, luckily for some reason it didn't work.

Instead, when I hit refresh Cassonians appeared instead. :eek:

There is frustratingly little info on the ad, "all genuine" isn't the same as "all original"!

The wheels have obviously been changed, if the 1709 engine and 'box are tidy I thought it might make a good donor car for Cassonian's "red devil"?

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
We could all get together, buy a big barn and buy a big selection of saabs and just keep swapping them about and see if we can get some of it out of our systems! ;)

and Rob, I think i may have flashed at you the other day on the A34 going into stone. There was a nice shiney red 900 anyway! I was in my black 900T

·
Registered
228 Posts
It might have been me, but another one has appeared on the scene - I mistook it for my wife in ours the other day! (from a distance, obviously :lol: )

I've asked a few basic questions to the seller on the blue 99, 'the shiny-bumper 99' is my dream Saab model, but the condition looks a bit scary.

When I do eventually buy one I might be better to spend more money on a really decent example.

I know from previous posts that engines and gearboxes are not easy to work on and that a lot of trim and interior parts are almost impossible to source? I should imagine that restoring this car would not be an easy proposition?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow, amazing :)

We should all keep a copy of these photos so next time our partners accuse us of being 'car obsessives' we can show that really we are quite normal in comparison*

Note the "minor" oil leak on the blue 900...

[EDIT]

Some more photos have appeared on a seperate Ebay page for the same auction here - including a stainless-bumpered 99 in my fave colour (very dark green, anyone know it's official colour?) though I think it is a 4 door.

* Apart from TFatC who I understand has considerably more cars than that... :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Rob Hill said:
Wow, amazing :)

We should all keep a copy of these photos so next time our partners accuse us of being 'car obsessives' we can show that really we are quite normal in comparison*

* Apart from TFatC who I understand has considerably more cars than that... :)
;oops: ;oops:

·
Banned
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mmmmmmmmmm, a barn full of Saabs!

That is just plain filth! ;) I have seen some sights in my time but that is incredible! I think I had better plan a foreign holiday for that weekend and make sure I am not around. :cry:

My car still proving problematic with its water pump and yes, a donor car would be helpful but me thinks at £300 for the blue one then it is a gamble on what is still working.

Trim is the major issue, almost impossible to find for the early cars but luckily mine is not too bad. I could do with a spare engine but all the bodywork on mine (except osr arch needing minor repair) is sound.

I really wish now however I had waited a bit longer to find a better 900 T16 though, paid expensive for mine and it is really a load of junk! Oh well, maybe px it for a Sonnett?

Now there is a model I have never owned................... ? Quick - down to the travel agent poste haste!

·
Banned
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rob Hill said:
stainless-bumpered 99 in my fave colour (very dark green, anyone know it's official colour?) though I think it is a 4 door.
Think you are dead right about the 4 doors Rob, the fronts don't look nearly long enough for a 2 door.

Was the colour Emerald Green, I had a V4 in the same shade as the 99 pictured, or was Emerald the one known as 'cowpoo green', but I am sure that was Verona Green.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Got a response back from the seller on the blue 99, the car has had a two litre transplant at some point and was last on the road four years ago. I guess that would make the starting price of £300 (and not met reserve) a bit on the high side.

Rob

PS No offence intended TFatC... I'm only jealous!

·
Banned
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not much use for a spare engine for me then!

Me thinks the reserve is set far too high for a car u/s last 4 years, cannot think why it would have had a transplant unless serious Triumph failure. Maybe he would have been better trying to source the other half of the stag engine to replace it!

Still might make an offer to save it from the scrapheap though, seems such a shame to see the early ones go.

Maybe I am just stupid but hey? :confused:

·
Banned
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just noticed that the green 1709 in the 'Saab barn' has back to front wipers. Either the photo has been reversed or it's a left hooker?

The plot thickens, think I might cancel the foreign holiday! This could get expensive. ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't think the photo is reversed, the "grey" car in front of it is the one behind the maroon 5 door in the picture below it (?). As the maroon's turbo badge isn't transposed, the photo of the green car must be correct?

I had a go with IrfanView to zoom right in on the photo but you can't see a steering wheel on either side.

It is 2 hours drive from me, I'm getting quite tempted to go down and have a general nosey at everything!

·
Registered
645 Posts
That's a similar colour to my '71!

I would have thought that a donor 1972 engine would have been an 1850 Triumph rather than a 2 litre..... maybe I'm wrong.

I've had a look at the photos, and the steering wheel is visible on the RHS in the pic showing the front, consistent with the direction of the wipers.

The early 99's are certainly getting scarce, although the 300 pound reserve on this one seems a little high for something that's not entirely original. A few more photos sure would be handy!

Drew

·
Banned
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DrewBedelph said:
I've had a look at the photos, and the steering wheel is visible on the RHS in the pic showing the front, consistent with the direction of the wipers.
Sorry Drew I was refering to the wipers on the green 1709cc on the Ebay link for an auction in this thread, not the blue one in the advert. The wipers on the green one are the wrong way around for a UK car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was seriously tempted to go and have a butchers at that blue one, as it was only in Retford, which isn't too far away from me. Didn't go though, still had the MGB at that point, and the late Bronze 5 speed GL in Manchester was more appealing (especially as it had 99T inca's on).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts