SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
The wheels may be out-of-round. The set on my car has one wheel with a very minor dent in one wheel and a slightly larger one in another. Both of these are mounted at the back. There's a funny shimmy/wobble at 55-60 km/h, then another one at 110 km/h. At other speeds it's smooth. If nothing else, I'd spin up the wheels and visually inspect them for out-of-round.

·
Super Moderator
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Trust me, that's the first thing I thought - unfortunately, this symptom is the same no matter which wheels/tires are on the car - I've mounted 4 or 5 different sets.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Did this start about the time some brake or suspension work was done? I wonder if the problem might lie in the wheel mounting, i.e. the hub or rotor face.

I'd still want to do a visual inspection to determine if the tires are running true. The shimmy/vibration at a low speed, in my experience, was always due to something out of round or warped. You could carefully jack up the front of the car, chock the rear wheels securely, and then idle the car in gear which should get at least one front wheel spinning nicely.

·
Super Moderator
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did this start about the time some brake or suspension work was done? I wonder if the problem might lie in the wheel mounting, i.e. the hub or rotor face.

I'd still want to do a visual inspection to determine if the tires are running true. The shimmy/vibration at a low speed, in my experience, was always due to something out of round or warped. You could carefully jack up the front of the car, chock the rear wheels securely, and then idle the car in gear which should get at least one front wheel spinning nicely.
It actually happened to both my 9-3 sedans, my '09 started doing it right after I lowered it on Koni/H&R. My 08 did it after lowering but then it got less noticeable when going back to stock ride height. Both had alignments done, and after speaking with an alignment pro he tells me this sounds drivetrain related. Super perplexing.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Well, all I can say, in all my experience, low-speed shimmy is something funny with the wheels/tires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just wondering if you ever resolved your vibration issue? I've been dealing with something similar. Got Hunter road force balance done, changed the tires, changed the rotors, vibration still there at highway speeds. It's an '07 Aero, had no issues with vibration until I went to get new tires and new rotors within 2 days of each other. Since then, new rotors and new tires and road force balance and now it feels better but still vibrates. What gives?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
So at cruise only not mostly during acceleration !
its probably poor balance ,, try a shop with a new machine ..

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Just throwing this out there. My wife went through a similar mystery shimmy at specific speeds. Turned out to be a caliper that didn't fully retract. Replaced it and no issues.

·
Super Moderator
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Still haven't figured it out. It is markedly worse with passengers or extra weight in the car - does that indicate anything specific?

·
Registered
37 Posts
So to address the comments: definitely not a balancing issue. Had eliminated that possibility 100% (different shops, different wheels, different tires, Hunter RF balance, etc.). Had the caliper issue too on my TX SC last year, got a new caliper. Having said that, it caused a noise and the car slowed down quicker but there wasn't quite the same drone type of vibration coming through the steering wheel at highway speeds, starts mildly at around 65 mph and up. After another set of new rotors, new tires and several balancing stints, it'd definitely better. If I could figure out the main issue, ride would be smooth as butter by now lol. Had alignment done too, btw, about a year and half ago. Not that it affects vibration (as some has stated incorrectly) but even then, tie rods and end links weren't found to be faulty. It could be a drive shaft, that's one thing I still haven't checked or replaced, BUT: this started happening after new rotors and tires were done within a couple days of each other. Just seems like too much of a coincidence that a CV joint would suddenly develop an issue at the exact same time. After owning seven 9-3's, the only small drive shaft issue I've EVER seen is on my TX on the back with a ripped rubber boot. This car seems to have no such issue. The mystery continues....

21 - 34 of 34 Posts