SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When stopped my automatic makes the car vibrate a bit when stopped, which I find annoying. So when stopping at a read light, I pop the tranny into neutral, then when it is time to be moving again, without applying brakes or gas (car stopped), I pop it back into D, once the car is moving, I apply gas.

How much of extra wear and tear is this on the transmission?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I think there was a thread recently and the verdict was yes, its extra stress on the torque converter, use P instead.

also check your engine and transmission mounts, there really shouldnt be a hell of a lotta vibration unless you have the uprated mounts, or broken mounts.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Park and neutral are the exact same thing. Switching back and forth in and out of drive is going to add unnecessary wear and driveline shock regardless of whether you chose park or neutral. Stay in drive and let the torque converter do its job when you stop.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
better yet dont buy an automatic if you dont like idle shudder, all autos will do it-the extent to which varies.
-Cm

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
When stopped my automatic makes the car vibrate a bit when stopped, which I find annoying. So when stopping at a read light, I pop the tranny into neutral, then when it is time to be moving again, without applying brakes or gas (car stopped), I pop it back into D, once the car is moving, I apply gas.

How much of extra wear and tear is this on the transmission? a little, maybe its life will be shortened by 7%..
Has your beast always does this, or is it a new phenomena?
What is the RPM reading ?
The Honda does this when the idle RPMs dip to 700(which is too low).
Check out your IAC.
No idle shudder for the old 900S, things have been normal for over 5 years now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts