SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been extremely cold the past two days and my car has not wanted to shift from park to reverse or any gear for that matter. I depress the brake and press in the knob to shift from park to reverse and the shifter will not move. I have to play with it for a few moments usually no longer than a minute or two before it allows me to shift into gear.

Is this a problem of the gear box being too cold to shift or something else. It's happened a few times before but never more than two times in a row, but now it's been several times and it's becoming annoying.

Any insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The transmission fluid was changed over the weekend during a 90k tuneup, so I don't know if the fluid would be the issue, unless they used the wrong type. I think it might be a lgear linkage issue because I have to play with the shifter and button several times before I get it to move out of park.

I wonder how much that will cost to get fixed?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I may be wrong about this, but I would check out the NSS/range switch.

This is packed with some grease that may solidify during this cold snap.
Also, the shift cable does stretch over time and may be due for an adjustment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same problem this morning but it took a little bit longer to engage this time. I had a short drive to the train station so when I got there and put the car in park, I tried to shift out of park again and the button wouldn't depress. I pressed the brake again and heard a sound and was able to shift. I kept on pressing the brake pedal and continued to hear the sound and was able to shift several times. The train finally came so I had to stop my experiment but I'm hopeful that doing this process several times has temporarily fixed the problem.

I just had the car tuned up and she's running really well, so to have this problem surface is just plain annoying.

·
Registered
619 Posts
That sounds sounds like the shift lock. It's actually a little cylinder similar to the ones found in drum brakes that presses out on the brake shoes. On one cold morning, as soon as I tapped the brake, I heard a "click, click, click, clickety click" I didn't know if the lock was malfunctioning or something, but your's may be getting stuck because of the cold. If you know how to remove the center console, you can put some silicon spray on it to help it move properly again as the factory grease they use hardens over time. Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I just discovered that there was a shift-lock solenoid problem with the 9-3 & 9-5's . Some of the cars manufactured had difficulty moving the selector level from the P position. Apparently it's from a faulty microswitch on the shift lock solenoid.

Saab issued a recall, so I guess the original owner never brought the car in to get fixed.

I found the fix for the 9-5 on the thesaabsite, but it appears to be too difficult to handle myself and very expensive for the dealer to perform.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If there is an open recall on your vehicle (not a TSB--but a safety recall), the manufacturer should eat up all costs related to the repair.

The first gen Kia Rios had three recalls in their first nine months on the North American market. Talk about a free fuel system and alloys...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts