SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have noticed that when I go WOT from first in my automatic, the car refuses to shift into second for some reason, and it really feels awkward because I'm almost bouncing off the limiter, yet the car refuses to shift up. I have to let off the gas and THEN it finally manages to bump up to second. Was this predesigned or is something wrong with my transmission?

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,523 Posts
I may be wrong but it sounds like you have a transmission valve body issue.
I suppose a Tech II would be needed to read watever code may be stored in the tranny/ECU.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may be wrong but it sounds like you have a transmission valve body issue.
I suppose a Tech II would be needed to read watever code may be stored in the tranny/ECU.
I have scanned the ECU and I get no fault codes. So I don't think that it's throwing any malfunction codes. I would also think that its a valve body issue, but the car shifts seamlessly from first to second at low RPMs, so that kind of gets eliminated. It seems as though the transmission controller (idk exactly what it's called) gets stuck or something. :confused:

·
Registered
86 Posts
So I have noticed that when I go WOT from first in my automatic, the car refuses to shift into second for some reason, and it really feels awkward because I'm almost bouncing off the limiter, yet the car refuses to shift up. I have to let off the gas and THEN it finally manages to bump up to second. Was this predesigned or is something wrong with my transmission?
My car does the same thing (kind of awkward when you are trying to show off).

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, but I would say 75% I have to let off the gas and hit the up shifter over and over until it goes. After that it shifts fine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Does it do it on WOT 2-3 shift? Lack of power? If so, I have seen clogged catalytic converters not allowing a WOT shift, while the rest of the shifts feel fine. Otherwise, you could try a fluid drain and refill or wait and see if it gets worse.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Why would you WOT in first gear anyway especially on an auto

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does it do it on WOT 2-3 shift? Lack of power? If so, I have seen clogged catalytic converters not allowing a WOT shift, while the rest of the shifts feel fine. Otherwise, you could try a fluid drain and refill or wait and see if it gets worse.
Sometimes, but not as bad as 1-2. No lack of power that I can notice. Though it is slow in 3rd gear, but I think it's because of the long gear. Is there a way to see how my cat is doing?

Why would you WOT in first gear anyway especially on an auto
To go fast?

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can get a back pressure gauge and put it in place of your HO2S sensor pre-cat (I have also just taken out O2's and drove it with it out while it was still plugged in and see if it got better - not recommended). I would also check trans fluid condition. If it is dark and smells burnt, you might have a transmission problem.

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
Mine has always done this.....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well this sucks, from what I'm seeing so far, it looks like most cars do this. I mean nice to know that my car is in good working order, but I really want to just nail it at a light sometimes. Oh well, I guess I'm just starting in second from now on :roll::lol:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well this sucks, from what I'm seeing so far, it looks like most cars do this. I mean nice to know that my car is in good working order, but I really want to just nail it at a light sometimes. Oh well, I guess I'm just starting in second from now on :roll::lol:
What I do to get around this is start in first and shift way before red line, like 4.5k more or less and shift up then. It wont be as fast as it can be, but it's way better then starting off in second.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts