SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uh oh.
Im realling hoping its low trans fluid and not a syncro or gear related issue.

The shifter is especially difficult to put into 5th (& 6th) @ 100km/h +
When I take off too, going into first isn't always easy as it was lets say a few weeks ago.

Could it be the clutch? Its about 3-4 years old and I do not pounce on it and or drop it ever. I dont ride the clutch either!
I have grinded gears maybe a couple times a year, no more than 2 or 3 times, which I think once is too many but it has happened.

Can someone give me their opinion and or ask a question about info I may be leaving out?

Thank you,

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
How hard is it if the car is sitting with the engine off and your foot is on the clutch?

Does the shifter overall feel stiff and binding, even in neutral?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Its clunky like it normally is and always has been. Not difficult at all to change gears, unlike when its ON and in motion.
So what does that mean?!
thanks

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
If it was stiff all the time, then it would be an issue with the linkage. Unfortunately it sounds like the problem really is in the transmission.

I'm not sure if there's a shifter alignment procedure for the 6 speed.

If you put in in gear while the car is standing still, and take off the brake, does the car want to move? That might indicate a bad clutch or slave/master cylinder problem.

I would also consider changing the transmission fluid. Does this happen particularly when it is very cold outside?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Great questions Ed! Thanks.
My "TIME FOR SERVICE" light came on in the dash last week just before I started noticing a difference.
Not sure how accurate that is and if it pertains to the transmission.

I do not know about a shifter alignment procedure...?
I was thinking of flushing out transmission fluid as the first and foremost affordable option.
If that doesn't help, then I was going to go to plan b and c...and d.
syncro, transmission and/or clutch, in no particular order.
I'm having it looked at tomorrow to get a mechanics perspective.

I'll see what they say.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Transmission flush is always good job.
There is adjustment for cable. Follow WIS, much easier to see than write.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Transmission flush is always good job.
There is adjustment for cable. Follow WIS, much easier to see than write.
Thanks Mimmi
I will have a look...not sure if the garage has the WIS...I have it at home though!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update; flush was done. fluid was dark/black.
it has helped a bit but leaving the shop and getting onto the highway, I did have a bit of trouble slipping it into 5th and it got better after a 25-30min ride.
I would say it is slightly better but I dont think the problem has been resolved...
Need to drive it a few more days.

What is the "specialty" transmission fluid, why is it so expensive, or did I get scammed...3 bottles (of how ever many gallons/liters cost me about $100 CAD)?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Assuming that the 6 speed uses the same fluid as the five speed, yes it's at least $20/litre, and that's looking around for a good deal.

Is the garage a Saab shop? Where are you in Canada?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
....Since I can't edit: a Saab ship will have WIS, or the knowledge to adjust the cables.

You can download it for yourself from the Tech II section of General Topics, look for WIS/EPC for Windows 10.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in Montreal. Syd and Jeff. They used to have a "saab guy" but he left...Saab specialty shops and/or Euro shops in Montreal REALLY take you for a ride. Not sure if its like that everywhere but so far from what I've experienced here, Syd and Jeff do decent work

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
....Since I can't edit: a Saab ship will have WIS, or the knowledge to adjust the cables.

You can download it for yourself from the Tech II section of General Topics, look for WIS/EPC for Windows 10.
Yes, I have WIS on my computer @ home.
The garage does not have it, I asked. I will look into this cable adjustment thing when I get home...

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Hmm. I know shops in Toronto, and there is one in Ottawa recommended by Bob3000. Montréal, I dunno. There are a lot of people selling Saab parts in the area, maybe they have a recommendation? And there are many Saabs for sale in Québec....hopefully not because no one can get them fixed....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I have a great source for used parts in Montreal and someone with a Tech2 nearby...so that helps. Both very knowledgeable and doing tests all of the time, also on here. Dont know their avatar names though!
Saabs are very particular as I have come to learn and if you buy one its because you know what you're getting yourself into. Generally always the same problems popping up, regardless of the year.
I had a 2.0T 2007 93 before this Aero 2008 93 (had it tuned to Stage 0 a year later), so wasn't too scared to buy it with almost 200k kms on it, knowing the engines were reliable from what I read/researched.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another Update; progressively smoother...is this the calm before the storm?! Will the 5th just pop out eventually?
Clutch does not slip, gears 1 through 4 seem to be coming back to normal (placebo effect? lol) and 5th/6th...well, 3 out of 4 times it goes in nearly problem free, especially at 100-120kms.
I'm still babying it into 5th to avoid ANY grind whatsoever and a few times in the last 100kms driven or so it has not wanted to go in smoothly...only 2 or 3 times.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Bad transmission. Gears do not pop out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Have you tried changing the clutch fluid?
Check master/slave cylinder?

Reactions: guichet

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you tried changing the clutch fluid?
Check master/slave cylinder?
Nope...didn't try the clutch fluid. Will try this next! For some reason I thought it was the same fluid for the clutch and transmission, didn't know they were separate! thank you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts