SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a new problem i have been experiencing, my shifter isn't getting the electrical signal to allow me to shift out of park, it is an on/off problem. I use the button bypass to shift, then it works for a while. i checked the fuse it's ok. any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have you checked your brake lights recently? and when the shift lock isnt working are the lights working. your brake switch may be failing on you.

G

·
likestosaab said:
Have you checked your brake lights recently? and when the shift lock isnt working are the lights working. your brake switch may be failing on you.
That was the exact cause on my wife's old Honda Accord. Remember, start simple.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i will check the brake switch next time it doesn't work, right now it is working, it only goes out occasionally, kind of weird. do you know where the brake switch is?

·
Registered
137 Posts
the brake switch is on the brake pedal if you look at it you will see like a little button thats hit when the pedal is at rest

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have this same problem on my 04 saab 9-3 linear 2.0t

I will have to give this a try thanks!

also I have 1 saab fob that only works 3 out of 5 times
but starting the car with it will fix the fob

my other fob seems to work grate but the key is stuck inside the fob
so if that fob stops working i will be locked out of my car :-(

whats the cheapest way to get my fob replaced the dealer was telling me
$300 and a 3 week wait that dose not seem right

also my cruise control stopped working out of the blue

fuses seem fine

just got the car 4 months ago fun to drive but this is driving me crazy

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I would make sure nothing fell down inside you shifter housing first and blocking it. Or maybe the accordian plastic piece around this shifter is sticking and not letting it pull back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Now that you mention the cruise isn't working either, this also makes me think it's the brake switch. If you crawl down by the pedals and look up (you may want to remove the access cover, it simply pulls out, no bolts or screws to worry about). You'll see there should be two little plungers hitting the pedal, as far as I can tell one is for the brake lights and your park release, and the other is for the cruise. When the pedal is not being used, it should be pushing those two plungers in, when the the pedal is depressed, you should be able to see the plungers come out a little. If this isn't the case you can use a long screw driver and push them back out to contact the pedal. If this is the case then the switch is probably faulty.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I orders the brake switch i could only find it at the dealer

only $27 not bad for a dealer but i have to wait 2 weeks for shipping :-(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Save yourself the $27 - I had the same problem with not being able to shift out of Park. I searched older Posts and found that the brake switch can be removed, taken carefully apart, and clean the contacts and other inards, use QTip and alcohol, dab new dielectric grease, reinstall.
Took me under an hour and has been trouble-free for several weeks now.
There are two switches under there, so I just cleaned both:)
Since you ordered from the dealer and not on-line, maybe it's not too late to cancel the order.

·
Registered
174 Posts
turns out to be someone put the wrong amp fuse in a 30amp was where a 7.5 amp fuse should have been...replaced the fuse now it works fine...

no i have to drive 1hr to the saab sealer and pick up a part I Don't need;oops:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts