SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I just got the infamous 96 shift link problem fixed by getting a new shifter put in, $500 later... I still have problems with it popping out of gear if I rev the RPMs to high in any gear the shifter wants to pop out of place or if I go in reverse too fast it still wants to pop out of gear.

My 1st question: Is this a motor mount problem or am I looking at tranny problems?

My 2nd question: Can I or should I drive the car with it still wanting to pop out of gear, my biggest concern is breaking the brand new shifter I just had put in.

My 3rd question: If it is a motor mount, does the motor or tranny have to come out to put the mount in? My concern here is labour costs...

PS: It drives just fine now after getting the shift link fixed that normally goes bad in the 96 900's with the exception of it WANTING to pop out of gear.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm assuming a shop did this for you and aligned the shift linkage correctly. My 1995 900SE would pop out of reverse at times when the shift linkage wasn't adjusted correctly.

To answer one of your questions, the motor/trans will stay in the car when replacing mounts. All you need to do is support the engine from the top with a support beam.

·
Registered
415 Posts
platonoff has an awesome write up of aligning the linkage. i really hope you got the updated linkage, especially for 500$.... i would start with alligning it again.you need 2 pins a long extension, ratchet and 13mm socket. easy peasy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts