SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove around to 4 car yards for 4 hours trying to find a matching wood shifter trim piece. The yards don't inventory this piece so first hand view was req'd. Mine was badly cracked and the brown color was not available. I borrowed a technique frequently used on the 93 SS models and plasti-dipped the piece with 3 coats. Using adhesive remover and care not to scratch the sub-surface, I was able to take off all the wood trim. The black plastic surface has a nice texture and took the rubber paint well. Trimming the felt trim with a razor knife made the fit look OEM.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Ha! I did something similar to mine about three-four years ago without the rubber dip. Just used plastic paint to match the interior. It works.

Yours is much better.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No issue. Plasti-Dip is frequently in play in the 9-3 SS forum. I also refinished 2 consoles in 9-3's with durational results. Important to spray an even thick coat to avoid edge peal.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My dash and shift surround have been plastidipped for over a year, right on top of the wood trim, with no peeling of any sort. I use plastidip to keep my bumper trim black, and even with the rocks and such from the road, it holds up just fine with 3 or more coats.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I did same to mine but just painted it with Rustoleum satin black 7777 spray paint from home depot.

Did it 4 years ago and it is great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts