SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im desperate to get my gear linkages back. i've completly lost where the gearbox shaft was and the gear linkage was set.

i understand the normal procedure for my 1988 car. put in 3rd gear.. 6mm drill bit in alignment hole.

but i dont know where 3rd is on the box. from a previous discussion which i cannot find now!?! reverse is the gearbox shaft pushed all the way in. but i need to know where 3rd is, or how to find out. i dont think i'll be able to get hold of the special tool for setting the box to 3rd. has anyone had any luck being this far out of adjustment.

i tryed putting the selectors in reverse and aligning that way. but i could only get reverse, 3rd and 4th but all where rough.

any help at all will be much appreciated!

·
4,637 Posts
Have you the gearshaft disconnected from the stick? So, grab the gearshaft with a vice-grip or such. Push shaft forwards and back to identify neutral. Twist shaft anticlockwise and pull back. This is first. Next keep anticlockwise twist and push forward two positions. This is second.

1. Twist shaft anticlockwise and pull back.
  2. Next keep anticlockwise twist and push forward two positions.
  3. Now pull back one position and allow the shaft to centre. Pull back one more position.
  4. Push forward two positions.
  5. Pull back one position, twist clockwise and pull back again.
Reverse. Push forward two position, twist clockwise a bit more and push forward one more position.

This depends on the centering mechanism being within the gearbox. If yours is the earlier type with the centering mechanism on the shaft, you'll have to locate the central postion for third gear.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blummin heck! cheers mate!

this is all for 3rd gear right? sorry its confusing all this pulling and pushing:)

my box is the later type with internal centering.

will there be definate clunks when i've hit the gears?

once again thanks !! :cheesy:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts