SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the leather on my shift knob is starting to rip. anyone know any good aftermarket ones that would fit on the SS? or would just any saab knob fit?

PS, anyone know how to get it off? just twist?

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Can't you play the warranty...

Have your dealer replace it and Bob's your uncle. :cheesy:

·
Registered
180 Posts
M4Gunner said:
PS, anyone know how to get it off? just twist?
Gunner- Don't remember where i saw it, (but i saw it somewhere) all you have to do is pop the silver shifter tag off and the screws are located in there.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
guilty as charged!;) the real reason was over this past winter, i was doing about 1000 miles a week..:confused: oh well, the things we do for work!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
skye2000 said:
Gunner- Don't remember where i saw it, (but i saw it somewhere) all you have to do is pop the silver shifter tag off and the screws are located in there.
thanks skye:p

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
2005 Chevy cobalt uses the same shift knob as 9-3 Saab, I bet it is cheaper too :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
M4Gunner said:
with the space underneath, so the reverse thingy can still slide up?
I am pretty sure the tranny is the same Getrag unit...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know that it's too simple to change it, on mine it wasn't screwed on, it was epoxy holding the knob on. It came loose, and eventually came off, the dealer fixed it under warranty, but sure enough, no screws to be found. This was on an 03, maybe they changed the design...

Best of luck getting something on there!

~Ryan

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i don't know about the top part, but the whole knob comes off by pulling it straight upward. i went to the dealer this past weekend for them to look at the shift knob since it gets loose and clicks when it is hot inside the car. when i was trying to show them, i pulled upward on the knob and the whole thing just popped off. they couldn't fit me in so i just had to put the knob back on and bring it in at a later date. now the clicking sound is gone when i put pressure on the knob :cheesy:. by the way, i didn't find any type of glue holding it on. the reverse collar is actually a very simple design and shouldn't be a problem to design an aftermarket shift knob to work with this car. i just wish someone would come up with one since i hate the feel of this shifter knob. i want a bulge on the front side to help grip it better when pulling the shifter into 2nd and 4th.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmmm... ive got an 03, so i guess ill just have to poke around and see what i can figure out. thanks guys.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Cojoroh said:
i went to the dealer this past weekend for them to look at the shift knob since it gets loose and clicks when it is hot inside the car.
That's the exact same thing that happened to me, it was coming loose when hot in the cabin, then it finally came off. I didn't see any epoxy on it either, but the dealer told me that's how it was held on, so I just took their word for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts