SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My shift knob leather was pretty rough. The stitching came undone, and then it ripped. I was looking to just replace the whole knob, but after struggling to remove it and doing some research (finding I was lucky it was still intact and glued on so tightly) I decided just to recover it.

Cost me a grand total of about 6$ in materials (after a failed attempt with one type of material) from my local fabric store. You only need about 3" wide of fabric to cover the knob.

I used vinyl instead of leather, and I honestly don't think it could have turned out much better for the cost and the amount of time invested. I originally bought a marine grade vinyl but quickly found the backing of this material to be to rigid. It was not allowing for a proper bend around the knob. I ended up going with a interior furniture material which was almost a felt type quality on the opposite side. Much more playable, and easy to bend.

One more issue I ran into was actually finding where the material was to fold into the shift knob on the underside. This was until I found out a small plastic ring popped out from where the reverse mechanism slides up and down. I used a eyeglass repair screwdriver and simply jiggled it out until it fell out of place. This is what holds the leather in, and allows for a tight fit.

Refitting the top of the shifter knob (1-2-3-4-5-6-R) was as easy as using a strong epoxy to glue it back on. Hopefully this will give some insight into what you need to do if your looking to replace your factory leather....

1. Remove old leather
2. Remove top of shifter knob (pic one-as you can see there are slotted holes that plastic from the knob top fits into. Be careful with removal as I broke these off, but it wasn't a big deal as long as you have STRONG GLUE)
3. Remove underside plastic ring (pic 2)
4. Trace pattern (pic 3)
5. Cut pattern then sew along seam. Turn inside out...I actually found I was pretty handy with a sewing machine after a few attempts
6. Slide on knob and fold in underside. Fold from the front most portion (near the radio) toward the rear most portion where there are junctions for excess material. DO NOT CUT RELIEFS, you simply don't need them and I found it doesn't bend nicely. Be patient and work in the material.
7. Insert bottom ring-critical to do this first before folding top. It will push in more material to the bottom of the knob
8. Fold in top material snugly pushing into the portion between the rubber and the metal edge.
9. Glue on top cap, and let it dry thoroughly

Last pic is of the finished product. Sorry I don't have some more detailed pictures, but I wasn't anticipating posting this until it became such a project.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
You are a life-saver! I've been wanting to restore my shift knob as the threads have started to come out on it.. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts