SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he shift coupler, the "dog-bone bushing" came apart in my 1992 turbo vert 5 speed. I have it in 3rd gear and inserted an allen wrench through the hole in the diff cover through the pin. So I was glad those holes were properly aligned.

Does anyone know handy tricks to getting the coupler out and in considering the tight space by the steering rack?

It almost is tempting to wrap the coupler with two hose clamps and secure it back together! But a new one is on the way.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Be happy you have the later dogbone style that just requires removing two 8mm (10mm?) nuts. The old style was one piece, and that meant pulling the clamp from the control rod and the taper pin from the input shaft. THAT'S a PITA. You don't even need to align the shifter when you're done.

I will say it can be helpful if you have some REALLY LONG 1/4" ratchet extensions. If you do, you can basically do the whole operation from on top.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it out from underneath with a stubby 10mm ratcheting wrench and it was not much hassle. It is completely toast! A new one is on the way and I think this with the two motor mounts will make it right again.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The new shift coupler arrived and I installed it in 20 minutes. With new motor mounts and shift coupler the car is driving great again. No vibration in shifter, no popping out of gear. All good, thanks for your helpful comments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts