SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im pretty sure my shift bushings are out...but in my experience when they go out you usually lose gears on either side(like lose 2 and 4) of the gates. My problem is the tranny doesnt like going into 1st, i usually have to shift into 2nd and then into 1st from a stop. Also sometimes at a stop clutch full in the gears will grind for no reason...this also happens on occasion shifting into 2nd(not speedshifting or anything, this is during normal driving)...is this my syncros, or could it all be related to shift bushing problems? Also when i come to a stop, lately i will try to pull it out of first and it will pull back to where 2nd should be, but it wont actually change gears, it just feels like im pulling the shifter thru mud or something, but as soon as i slip the clutch a little, it will come out of gear. Any thoughts? By the way i when going into 1st or 2nd it is alot less positive of engagement than 3/4/5, it doesnt really slip in, you have to push/pull it moderately hard into 1st or 2nd. Bottom line, how hard is it to change out the bushings in the tranny, i looked in my haynes manual but i couldnt find anything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I thought I had the shift bushings go out on my 900 a month or so ago. It ended up the shift mechanism had come loose. One screw was missing, and the others were really backed up.

How did the car act before it was fixed? Often, I could not get into second. Three days before I had it fixed, I pretty much lost access to first and second all together. If It felt like it was in first, it wouldn't engage and just burn the clutch. Second was impossible to get into.

Not knowing if it was my clutch, tranny or bushings going out, I took it to my trusted Saab mechanic. Changing bushings sounds pretty involved - but we didn't talk specifically how it was done.

-Clif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts