SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all right guys she finally came though i am still in the air as to whither or not its a true EMS as i heard they only came in turbo models though this one is not. with out further a due here she is....

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Looks great :)

The first turbos were known as ems turbo, but the end is. Also a model in its own right. You have turbo wheels on yours. It could still be an ems clone, not sure how you tell. Hope its a real ems :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks it has a sticker on the inside of the doors that says ems for what ever thats worth i really do wish there was a way to figure it out though. By the way if you know anyone in need of a turbo head i have one that came with the car that i have no use for.

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Sounds promising - changing the doors isn't that easy. The turbo head fits yours, the cam and cam cover are different however. You could open up the cover screw holes to suit the earlier cover however.

·
Registered
658 Posts
look at the fuel lines if you have injectors at each runner of the intake otherwise you'll have a fuel distributer with yellowing lines to each cyl. the E of EMS stands for electronic as in electronic fuel injection (vs. mechanical injection)...get over on saabrally.co the guys over there are a big help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
could work but its well known that the e stopped standing for electronic in 75 there were quite a few with mfi. Thanks though

·
Registered
614 Posts
A few things about the EMS model - the only red used for an EMS model was cardinal red(burgundy). There was no EMS three door hatchback until one was offered in 1978 - the last year for the 99EMS in the states. In 1975, the EMS was only available as a 2dr notchback in two colors - black or silver. There would be an EMS sticker on the inside of the door because they were identical doors used on the 3dr and EMS models - the interior panels on the 3dr and EMS were both the vinyl covered hard foam. The hardware to hold the door panel in place was different than that used for all other 99 models that used the vinyl covered cardboard panels. The EMS sticker was an indicator for the factory workers to know what door shell to use. I sent an email to the owner of the car when it was for sale on saabnet, but he didn't want to hear about it.

73-74 were the only years for electronic fuel injected EMS'. All EMS models afterward used mechanical injection - Einspritz - the German word for injection was used for the "E".

·
Registered
614 Posts
BTW, there are other details used on the EMS models - extra chrome trim ring in the center of the front grille from 75-up, 99 EMS emblems on the sides of the hood and a painted on EMS emblem on the trunk lid, and of course the plusher interior as used also on the turbo models, and soccerball wheels. All of the parts are bolt-ons, so everything can change from shell to shell.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Other thoughts...

All EMS had a short-ratio steering rack and airdam right? Would there be factory airdam mounting holes on the body if not an ems?

·
Registered
614 Posts
My 75EMS never had a factory airdam, but I've seen factory pictures of 76's with an airdam installed. My first Saab was a 77EMS, and it never had an airdam, nor did it have holes for one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a model 1975. For sure not a turbo. If you want to know if it is an EMS, turn the steering wheel from end to end. 3.4 turns=EMS; 4.1 turns= no EMS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry been a while, i sold the 99 ems or not for twice what i got it for and have a 900 turbo convertable now. Thanks for all the input

1 - 13 of 13 Posts