SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving through town and it died. Put it in neutral and tried to re-start. It only cranked over, didn't fire. Pushed it out of the intersection and onto the shoulder. Cycled the key a few times to see if it was the fuel pump. Can hear the fuel pump turn on. Nothing obvious out of place under the hood. All fuses I checked are fine. Every once in a while it does have a hot start issue, takes a few more cranks than usual to fire up, but other than that, no running issues.

I have a friend coming over in a few hours with a truck, tow strap, and OBDII scanner so I can at least get it home and hopefully diagnose the problem. Could it be the CPS? Or?

Thank You!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Could still be fuel pump. Check for pressure at the schraeder valve on the fuel rail. Could be DI or CPS too. Or even something strange.... if it starts once it's cool, probably CPS though.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If 1 DIC goes, but the other is fine, will it still not start?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol. Yeah, I'm hoping so. Any other suggestions anyone? Pricing the CPS and DIC now. Forgot who's posting it was, but he keeps a spare DIC in both his cars. Thinkin I might start doing the same.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nathan 9⁵;1754731 said:
Me :cheesy:

And I just checked for you, no the car won't start with just one DIC.

Lol. Yep, you would be the one who keeps spares for your V6's.

Just went and got the car. Cranked a couple more times than a normal start, but fired up. I shut the door an hauled *ss home. So, does that narrow it down to a CPS?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I've kept important spares for every car I've owned. When I sold my Volvo, it came with a trunk filled with new spare parts. And since I've owned a Saab before, I know the DIC is something you need to keep handy. Every time I've had an important part fail on me, it never fails, I always have to wait because the parts dept is out of stock, or it's back ordered, or something. And I hate that. My garage is like a mini Saab parts dept. I have water valves, window rollers, DIC's, a fuel pump, a CPS, a used turbocharger, sway bar end links, spare HID bulbs, serp belts and tensioners, water pump, a timing belt kit, I'm prepared. The only spare parts I've got in my trunk are the DIC and a water valve. I don't see the point in carrying a boy scout's arsenal around.

And... If that isn't enough, I've got a spare car. :cheesy: Which has come in handy several times. It was just last week my dad had to borrow the '01 because his '07 Volvo V70R is a twitchy Swede. His immobiliser system constantly prevents him from starting the car. It just left him with a message: "Immobiliser - See Manual" He tried all 3 keys, and still no go. :roll:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Lol. Yep, you would be the one who keeps spares for your V6's.

Just went and got the car. Cranked a couple more times than a normal start, but fired up. I shut the door an hauled *ss home. So, does that narrow it down to a CPS?
Yes. This almost guarantees the CPS is your culprit. My '01 V6 pulled this fun little stunt on me on a back road in 2007. I was on hold with a tow-truck when another guy in a 9-5 pulled up and asked if I needed any "spare parts" because we had the same car (har-har). I went to show him it wasn't starting and it started right up like absolutely nothing was wrong. I drove it home and it died again. I knew what it was so I just pushed it into a parking lot and came back for it later once it cooled.

FYI, one of the DI cassettes in my V6 took a dump on the highway for the previous owner. He continued driving it for 5 miles to the next exit ON THREE CYLINDERS where he pulled into a gas station and shut it off. Only three cylinders firing were not enough to get the engine to turn over. And it also destroyed the catalyst. The car needed $3k in work (brakes all around and cat) so I got it for a killer deal. And the DIC recall came out WEEKS after I bought the car so I got all new DI's and a new Saab OEM cat for freeee!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CPS ordered. $56. 2 days till it comes in. Didn't even try to price it from my Dad. His shop is 30 miles away and Advance is 1 mile away.

Yeah, I believe I'm going to have to add another shelf to the garage. Motorcycle parts, gun parts, fish tank parts, now Saab parts, lol.

Overall, it wasn't too embarrassing. Still saying it was a little embarrassing because a certain Civic SI drove past and flipped me off. I was on the sidewalk (I pushed the damn car through the intersection and up a driveway entrance by myself. Nobody stopped to help. I always stop to help. So much for Karma) leaning against the car, cop behind me with his lights on, and here comes that SI. I smiled and waved, he flipped me off and laughed. Yeah...a bit embarrassing. Oh well. At least when my car is running it's still faster. :cheesy:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maine.... wow. No thanks. I'll take the shoulder any day over a tunnel. Glad you got out ok.

Nathan.... 114,600. There was no idiot lights at the time of failure. None. The car just shut completely off. 1st reaction when it stalled was to look at the dash, nothing reading but gas and temp. When I went back to re-start it, I had the CEL on the whole way home. Haven't started it since I got home and don't plan to until a friend stops by with his scanner.

I'm approaching my 120k service, which is really ambitious. I have no service records on the car (even though when I test drove it, I was assured they had ALL records from the 1 female owner) so I plan on replacing pretty much everything on the passenger side of the engine.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My 2004 never threw a check engine light.

My 1999 did off and on for about 4 months before I got to replacing it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Question. How does the car drive with one of the DIC's out? I'm guessing very rough and sluggish? Any harbingers of failure?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I couldn't get either car to start with one DIC disconnected. I don't know if they're wired in parallel. But, all of that unburned fuel going to the Cat Conv. will definitely kill it.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Question. How does the car drive with one of the DIC's out? I'm guessing very rough and sluggish? Any harbingers of failure?
Like Nathan said, you can't start a V6 with one DI cassette. If one happens to fail on you while you're moving though the car will shake a LOT, have very little power, and the CEL will be flashing its brains out!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like Nathan said, you can't start a V6 with one DI cassette. If one happens to fail on you while you're moving though the car will shake a LOT, have very little power, and the CEL will be flashing its brains out!

Time to start searching for a spare. Cheapest one I found was 230 plus 20 for shipping. Most were 280-300. That really blows, lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts