SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonjour, Bonsoir etc etc,

Hello all,
I have observed the shark fin aerial on our SAAB 9-5 Estate slowly falling to peices.
Has anyone on here any experience of replacing the fin, I understand it's one of those jobs where, to replace something small, the whole car needs to come to peices. I really hope I am wrong.

Also why is the B***DY thing not made of sterner stuff????

Cheers
H

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
From what i have read from previous posts, it is possible by undoing the rear centre brake light, pulling the headlining down then you can reach in and undo the nut that holds it on.

this is a previous post from Chris:

Ok you need to drop the headlining to get to the nut that holds it in place:

Remove the top brake light, then remove the clips in the rear roof pillars to release the headlighning, then sitting in the rear you can gently prise down the head lining......I recall having to pull off some of the door seals etc ;)

But he has a saloon....

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The thread I just posted is about the van...........erm, wagon ;)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
shark fin

Just changed one on an MY01 saloon/sedan and it is straightforward.
Follow instructions as indicated above-I had to price out the headliner
retention plugs which are the oblong plastic plugs on either side and just above the corner of each rear headrest.

This gave me enough room to both get a spanner at the nut and also importantly a pair of long nosed pliers
to remove and then re-attach the antenna connection(mine was for the phone-there are a few types both blank
and otherwise that the fin can be btw)

I had problems with the high level brake light cluster showing a "brake light failure" when I put everything back together.
The contacts on the five bulbs are somewhat tricky but with a few attempts all was OK(sometimes I had two lit then
three and eventually all five)
Putting the cover on would cause a bad connection etc -anyway all OK now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear all,

please accept my apologies re my spelling....
peices should read pieces...
hopefully I will be more exact when I replace the FIN:cheesy:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've got this job to do on my estate (wagon) shortly. I've just bought one of these:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AERO-FIN-SHARKS-FIN-CAR-ANTENNA-Aerial-Custom-Car-12v_W0QQitemZ140163476781QQihZ004QQcategoryZ36676QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Haven't fitted it yet, Don't need to use either the connectivity possibilities of the OEM antenna as both my GPS and phone use different aerials. So I really selected the replacement on the basis of looks( tho' I'm still not sure I chose the right one!!). I'm planning to spray it to match the car, I'll post pics when it's finished.

It's a great pity that:-

1. Saab can't make an aerial that lasts the life of the car, mine is only 6 years old and it looks like s*1t.
2. When you do need to replace the original it cost an arm and a leg to put another one on that you know won't last five minutes.

Colin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts