SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiiii,
I just bought an '03 9-5 turbo 2.3 and while ive fixed up the insides, I'm still doing cosmetic stuff. The plastic cover of my antenna is absolutely destroyed/ugly and I want to replace it, But instead with a replica shark fin (that's not form-fitting). Ya know, sort of a play on the sharkish antenna itself. Anyway, I need a hollow sharkfin replica to fit over the actual antenna - I'll paint it black to match the black bodypaint if it isn't already black. I'm more or less sure of how i'll fasten it down, but i need to get the fin first. Has anyone ever seen/thought of this?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I replaced mine with a Saab replica Antenna on ebay. This is the same seller I bought mine from. Even using the same image. I did this mod in August of 2011. No leaks, still looks great.

Remove the plastic 3rd tail light cover and pull down the headliner. It's mildly awkward but reach in there and you'll feel the threaded post of the existing antenna. Unscrew the nut holding things tight. There are 2 wires that come out of the antenna and clip to the other 2 wires running to your onstar unit. Unclip these and remove antenna. I opened the bottom of the old antenna and remove the threaded post and circuit board.

I removed the bottom base of the replacement antenna and drilled a hole large enough for the threaded post (from old antenna) to fit through. Push the threaded piece through the hole you drilled and refit base to the top antenna piece. I may have thrown some epoxy or glue in there. I put black ATV sealant around the exterior roof antenna opening. Fitted the threaded post back in to the hole and reinstall nut. There may have been some other DIY in there somewhere. Nothing exciting. Tighten down and put your headliner and brake light cover back in place. Done.

Hope that helps. One of those easy project done a couple years ago but ask any other questions you might have.

·
Registered
145 Posts
OnStar went digital a few years ago and the system in the early Saabs are not digital and therefore, obsolete now.

·
Registered
871 Posts
^^^ Yeah, but if you push the OnStar button you get to speak with an OnStar person. Did it with the wife's '03. Soooooo, not so dead, after all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts