SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice this when I am doing about 70mph +. I had the tires balanced, wheels aligned, and put new struts, discs brake pads, and I torqued them all to the specified lbs. Steering is a little loose,(not as tight as i like I guess) and when the shop did the balance and alignment, I noticed the steering wheel is not aligned with the direction of the tires, a little of center.
I checked the under side of the car the other day, all looks good, but if something is wrong would I notice it?

What do I look for or replace?

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
Have them rebalance the wheels. Speed-related vibration is almost always caused by wheel balance or defective/damaged tires.

·
Registered
953 Posts
A seized caliper can cause violent shaking and pulling in one direction. If you pull over after a high speed run and find that one wheel is much hotter than the other, check its caliper.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Is the vibration only apparent when you are accelerating? Does it stop when you take your foot off the gas? What side of the car is the vibration coming from?

Another cause is you might have a bad inner tripod bearing on your CV axle(s).

Jack the front end of the car up, grab onto the drive axle on each end and try to wiggle them.

If the axle moves and feels like it has a lot of play on the inner end, the tripod bearing is bad or the companion flange is worn.

Just had to replace the left axle in my own car due to this.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A seized caliper can cause violent shaking and pulling in one direction. If you pull over after a high speed run and find that one wheel is much hotter than the other, check its caliper.
I bought a caliper kit and was going to install it tomorrow. I was pulling to the left. We'll see

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the vibration only apparent when you are accelerating? Does it stop when you take your foot off the gas? What side of the car is the vibration coming from?

Another cause is you might have a bad inner tripod bearing on your CV axle(s).

Jack the front end of the car up, grab onto the drive axle on each end and try to wiggle them.

If the axle moves and feels like it has a lot of play on the inner end, the tripod bearing is bad or the companion flange is worn.

Just had to replace the left axle in my own car due to this.....
Accelerating and cruising speed. The whole car shakes can't pinpoint exactly where, but more so the front vs the back

·
Registered
80 Posts
Accelerating and cruising speed. The whole car shakes can't pinpoint exactly where, but more so the front vs the back
My first thought is wheel weight balance. If a wheel was bent, it would shake at any speed. Since it's only speed sensitive, that is the primary characteristic of improperly balanced wheels. Also, you don't mention, but if you have non-Saab wheels, you might have an issue with not having a hub centric wheel that could cause the same issue; the car would seem like a wheel is out of balance.

You never mentioned if they were new tires or not.

FYI:
Wheels get balanced.
Suspension gets aligned.
Most experienced shops can mate the tire to the rim in a way that requires the least weights.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My first thought is wheel weight balance. If a wheel was bent, it would shake at any speed. Since it's only speed sensitive, that is the primary characteristic of improperly balanced wheels. Also, you don't mention, but if you have non-Saab wheels, you might have an issue with not having a hub centric wheel that could cause the same issue; the car would seem like a wheel is out of balance.

You never mentioned if they were new tires or not.

FYI:
Wheels get balanced.
Suspension gets aligned.
Most experienced shops can mate the tire to the rim in a way that requires the least weights.
They are original Saab wheels, and the tires are not new, so I was going the cheap route first, before I go get new tires.
I will have the tires rebalanced as Jim mentioned, just been busy with work. Tried to do the calipers but, was going to cost $$$ soI am going to just buy new calipers instead.
Thanks any other advice I will welcome.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have had fairly new tires go out of round in the past. Then they will vibrate at certain speeds and no amount of balancing will get rid of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Me too!

I'm having the same kind of issue with rough ride/vibration at +75mph. It is fine on surface roads, and smooth up to 70 mph or so. I did put new aftermarket tires/wheels on the car right after I bought it 3 months ago with the correct hubcentic ring--eventually, (that's a whole other story:evil:) and have rebalanced the wheels TWICE. Along with two alignments. It seems like the issue comes from the front drivers side, but it's intermittent and hard to pinpoint.

98 CSE. Original wheels were 16" and the replacements are the same size. Toyo tires (can't recall the exact type) but were around $115 each.

It also had a lot of front end work done, (don't have the exact quotes in front of me) but included left front wheel bearings, CV boot, right tie rod ends. Just replaced the transmission, and a leaking axle seal was repaired at that time.

So I'm wondering if it is perhaps spark plug or DI related? I was checking the records from the previos owner, and it looks like they were done 40K ago. The DI was one at 100K, and the car has 187K now. Is there any indication that the DI is on the way to failure? Or does it just go?

I will change the plugs in a few days and see what that does. The last option I really don't want to do is swap out the new wheels with the hideous original super aero's (not a fan). More because I don't want to know that it's the new wheels causing this:cheesy:. Good thing I haven't put them on CL yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts