SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATED VERSION ON POST #10!

So, I was always a fan of the rims that are on my car, however, I never liked the brushed chrome look. A friend do this on his car, though he had the bright polished chrome, so I thought I would give it a shot on mine. I have always loved Dupli-Color paints, so ....

The victim 2001 9-3 SE factory rims:

I used a very fine Brillo pad and some wheel cleaner to remove all the brake dust and build up on the inside of the rim, as well and used some cleaner on the face. I did *NOT* use the Brillo on the face, so I would scratch it. The Shadow paint is translucent, so it will show any imperfections and scratches.

I have her all taped and masked up. I used 3x5 cards between the tire and the rim, to keep everything nice and neat. (Thanks to John over at the Chargerforums for sharing this idea)

And here is the stuff I used :

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So here is coat #1! This is a VERY light dusting, so the 2nd and 3rd (maybe 4th) will have something to bond to.

And here is the 2nd coat. The picture makes it look A LOT darker then it is.... This is taken in my garage at 9PM, under "Natural" overhead lights.

I will most likely be putting a 3rd coat on. I want to see how this will look when its fully dried. I will post up more as I get further into this, and I will post a side by side with the rims still on the car, that I have NOT touched yet. ;ol;

Cheers

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Okay.... so it turned out ALOT darker then I wanted.... I think the 4th coat is was 1 too many, and the clear coat darkens it as well... so maybe 2 and a CC. I loved the look of the 3rd, but I pushed my luck... :( Oh well... nothing some we sanding cant fix. I also think since my care is so pale in color... it really makes them stand out to much. If I had a darker color car, I think they would look perfect. On a side note, I added some red caliper paint. Thought it would help lighten up the black void.

Here are some pictures with the 4th and some clear coat. Problem I think is they look like spare tires.... since the rims are "thick"

What do you think?

4th Coat (No CC)

4th with CC

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once I am done with the paint, there is a clear coat that is supposed to be able to be buffed and polished. Right now the paint is smooth as glass to the touch.

More updates in the morning when I put the final coat on and then CC it.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Rob,
Do you think they will chip easily? I would like to do mine in a stock color but I am afraid when the tire shops change the tires the paint will chip????

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rx-7 tt,

I have used Dupli-Color wheel paint on my truck and had no problems over the last 3 years. (2 tire changes, dirt roads, stone roads, construction sites, and 4 trips from Philly, PA to Washington DC. It has faded (though I didn't use clear coat, since its my "beater" truck (Its an old 83 S-10). The wheels came from a junk yard, and I sanded them down and put 3 coats on. (First one was light, then the 2nd and 3rd were wet. No chips, cracking, or anything.

I will say, my the guy who does my tires is not a ...... (Insert word of choice here). He is pretty careful when he does work on my cars that is over my head.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, after deciding they were to dark for my taste (though they do look amazing in person) I went about this a slightly different way.

I acid-toned my rim with Duplicolor's caliper cleaner. This breaks all the break dust, polish, etc away... It wont hurt the finish at all. If you use this, MAKE SURE you use good gloves! :nono; This stuff started eating the latex gloves I had on!

Then I used DC's Metalcast base, which looks very similiar t the factory color. The right on is painted with 2 coats of the base.

Then I used the same smoke paint (which again is a transparent paint) and gave it the first coat

This is the 2nd and final coat, The finish is exactly what I wanted! ;ol; :cheesy:

two down.... two to go!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You took the weights off to paint, right?

;)

I used roofing flashing instead of the cards to get the 12" height because I'm a klutz. But yours is cheaper. :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
You need to pull the weights of the lip of the rims ;oops: Then what you do is take the tires to a car place, tell them to rebalance the wheels, but do NOT put weights on the outside (the painted side) and only put weights on the inside of the rims to protect the paint as well as give a cleaner appearance. They do this on chrome rims or high end rims where the weights are either an eyesore or can damage the chrome. Good thing is it can be done on aluminum finished rims as well as steel rims.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, in hind sight, and now that you mention it, I should of! Bad me! Bad! ;oops: :cry:

The nice thing, is that when I pull them off, I can bust out the air brush and clean that up. I need to get new tires anyhow, so when I get them, I'll have my guy put the weights on the back and then touch-up the front with my airbrush. (The NICE thing, is if I have to, I can just sand them down and redo the process.) :roll:

Though all and all, (besides my oops!) I am very happy with the process, and the results. I have the clear coat drying (1st coat, I will put the 2nd on in 30 minutes) and post the results. By the morning I can put those on, and then redo the front drivers (which will take the most time, and do the passengers.

Cheers
- Rob

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I know the pictures are rubbish, but its 9:30pm and looks like its going to pour. I put then back on, and snapped a few shots. I'll take better ones when its sunny and nice out. Plus they have not been polished and buffed up, and the tires still have the tape marks, and haven't been washed and shined.. ;oops:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
They do look good. ;ol;

When I did the wheels on my old bus, I used chalk to mark the locations of the weights on the tires, and took 'em off. After painting and curing for a week, I put the weights back on. No balance problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They do look good. ;ol;

When I did the wheels on my old bus, I used chalk to mark the locations of the weights on the tires, and took 'em off. After painting and curing for a week, I put the weights back on. No balance problems.
Thanks! I am going to pull the weights off next week, touch up the "bare spots" and then take them to my guy to put my new tires on! (I just ordered them from tire rack) Nice low profile ones. I'll make sure he puts the weights on the inner side.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay... It rained today, so I had some pretty crappy conditions to work... but here it is!

I am really happy with the turnout.

I'll post a better picture when its nice out! But this is what she looks like with them done.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
first off awsome thread, i personally liked the darker ones better but thats my opnion but the grey still looks awsome. I was wanting to do this same thing but was just scared about paint chipping. will you please let us know how there holding up in a few months, and you said you got low profile tires for thsoe rims comming? what size are the tires because i have those same rims and want lower profile tires on them. but any ways awsome thread and looking wheels!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was wanting to do this same thing but was just scared about paint chipping. will you please let us know how there holding up in a few months, and you said you got low profile tires for those rims coming? what size are the tires because i have those same rims and want lower profile tires on them. but any ways awesome thread and looking wheels!
Thanks, I am happy with the turn out. I have another set of rims, so I might experiment. The Tires are 205/50ZR16 and I ordered them from tirerack.com. Great price for them compared to any of the locals.

I'll defiantly keep updates coining. I also plan to wash/wax/polish/buff them as soon as the weather breaks... Its a lovely day of fog, rain, and wind here.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts