SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i'm considering re-spraying my vert after installing the SPG side panels. My vert's current color is this ---->



what shade of red is this?? Talladega Red?

I believe there's another red? imola red? and cherry red?/ any suggestions?

appreciate any pics posted.

tks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,470 Posts
hard to tell the shade from pictures (when there are several options.... black is easy, its just black ;) )


there will be a stamp somewhere on the car, with the paint code. that will tell you the exact shade that it is, and help narrow down your possible choices

G
 

·
Saab Mad
Joined
·
14,069 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tks guys.

i was actually thinking of changing to another shade of red, as i find the current red too dull for my vert....

i would appreciate if owners of red c900 would post pics of their ride here so i may choose the correct shade. i looked in the thread "let's see your c900" and the red 900s seem to be similar to mine...

i need more choices... :cheesy:

cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,113 Posts
peckhs said:
i was actually thinking of changing to another shade of red....
You should think twice about that.
Unless you have the car all apart for some other reason, it's twice as hard to do a good job changing colors as it is to repaint. The door jambs, underhood area, inside the trunk, will all reveal the color change and always look like a half-fast job if subjected to any scrutiny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,035 Posts
If you can't do it yourself take the car in for a FULL cut-polish and restore.


The paint used on Saabs is of incredible quality and even white looking red will shine beuatifully. Trust me. You will be blown away. Small dings and dents can be remove and touched up without repainting panels and repairs from well trained experts get very close to near perfect without refinishing.

Total respray often looks bad unless you are speding 1000s and 1000s of dollars. I bet you can get that pain on that car to look better than even a $5,000 job could! It takes time!

Get your SPG panels resprayed (this is not a big deal and will look perfect easily, the finish it not gloss and not painted metal)

I did this method of restore on my VERY tired looking 89' 900 turbo I had a while back and the results were remarkable:









I also polished the wheels up myself.

The paint on this car was VERY tired and looked dull and was very bumpy and had no "shine"

After a clar bar, some heftt hand polishing a coat of Zymol and then two coats of sealing wax the shine lasted a LONG time.

I think the total cost including respray on the bumpers and Aero fitting was under $500. Car got CRAP loads of compliments.

Just an idea.

Your car is NOT ruby red, or talledega. Looks liek cherry red #2. The colour code is listed under the boot floor in on the center rail.

I even painted thoes Aero arch covers and vent covers myself with black bumper spray. It is very forgiving and looks just liek new plastic. I painted the front bumper soiler lipp after a light sand and it looked brand new.

After all that work I managed to get $5,400 for it form a private sale...goes to show what some time and elbow grese can do. I didn't want to sell it...but I wanted to go to Europe and had two old Saabs:cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
woywitka said:
After all that work I managed to get $5,400 for it form a private sale...goes to show what some time and elbow grese can do. I didn't want to sell it...but I wanted to go to Europe and had two old Saabs:cry:
Every time I see you post your old Coupe, I can’t believe you sold it... I just couldn't do it! That is one of the best looking c900s and it has hardly any options, just rims and the spg kit!

The blue/grey match so well man I don’t know how you could go from that beauty to a convertible with no spg kit man I just can’t comprehend it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,829 Posts
****** said:
Every time I see you post your old Coupe, I can’t believe you sold it... I just couldn't do it! That is one of the best looking c900s and it has hardly any options, just rims and the spg kit!

The blue/grey match so well man I don’t know how you could go from that beauty to a convertible with no spg kit man I just can’t comprehend it!
I agree... :drool: for that car. But then again, he got a convertible! If you have never owned one, well... ya just wouldn't understand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,529 Posts
peckhs said:
Hi, i'm considering re-spraying my vert after installing the SPG side panels. My vert's current color is this ---->



what shade of red is this?? Talladega Red?

I believe there's another red? imola red? and cherry red?/ any suggestions?

appreciate any pics posted.

tks
Looks like cherry red (214) which is the same colour as my 89 16V hatchback is painted.

There is also talladega red (219) which is lighter, and rhodon red (213) which is darker for that year.

Craig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
962 Posts
Unless it's been resprayed, check the colour code on the sticker.

IMHO, I would not recommend a respray but a good restoration job. I understand if you are not happy with the colour, but a respray often results in a few things if not done well. Among these are broken tabs, plastic parts and fittings. They invariably break when you remove them. I've learn that with any 10+ year-old car, don't disassemble it unless you have to.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top