SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not only are my wife and I new to the Saab world we are new to forums also. A couple weeks ago we purchased a 2005 9-5 arc. Test drove beautifully with exception of headlight issues. Long story short... We puchased a used headlIght unIt off ebay to replace the broken passenger sIde thInkIng thIs was part of our problem. After much research on forums we know we have self leveling hid's. (Factory we presume) They seem to operate normally when I use a jumper wire. Levelers operate, some thing moves and clicks in the light when switched from dipped/ low to full/ high beams. However only once or twice have we actually got light from the bulb. (Even tried new bulbs.) And this is achieved only with jumper wire. Our car does not have the infamous orange relay. Maybe it's too new or maybe it has been replaced by previous owner? In any case I checked the relay we do have (black) and it looks functional. Previous owner must have done one of those changes that allow the flash to pass lights to be on with the high beams because they work perfectly. Any ideas on why we can get power and functionality out of both head lights but no "light"? And when we do get the hid to come on it seems very dull. Any expertise would be much appreciated.

Remember, real Saab lovers don't remember the cost, they remember the adventure!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am somewhat confused as to what you are jumpering to get the lights to work....

The HID lights are controlled by the lamp modules located under each light bucket, which are I think controlled by the TWICE unit. Without a working side, troubleshooting just got much more difficult.
Many times, owners will put up with a faulty lamp a little too long, and damage the lamp module. It is possible the PO did this until both sides had expired. Cheap Chicom ebay lamps have also claimed a module or two.

Since Saab went belly up, the price on modules have sky rocketed past former suggested stealership prices...wrecking yards might be a source for some parts for troubleshooting. Start with known good/new OSRAM lamps.

If I remember correctly, the last module I had go bad, the flash to pass would work, but the parking lamp would not. Might be a place for you to start...good luck.

The orange relay was a halogen lamp issue, not found on HID cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts