SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi all

While Unofficial XP SP4 is installing, let's go ahead and talk about Tech 2 and Saab specialty software. You're going to need it, and the downloads total around 5gb so it will take a while. First, review this thread:

which basically tells you to click here:

In that onedrive link you'll find two folders. The first is PDFs, which contains a bunch of stuff you don't care about. The second is Software, and you care very, very much about the contents of this folder. Click on it. I know you want to.

Inside the Software folder are some more folders, so let's talk about them:

BIN Files: Contains a bunch of PCMCIA card images. This is the software that makes Tech 2 work. Each BIN file represents one PCMCIA card's worth of data. Assuming you were smart and ordered a Saab-English 148 card with your Tech 2, you can safely ignore the files in this folder. If you did not, you will want to download the Saab 148.bin file. Hang onto it, we'll circle back to these BIN files later. (In case anyone is curious, PCMCIA BIN files have nothing to do with bins commonly referred to when tuning cars - don't get confused) You can almost certainly safely ignore the rest of the contents of this folder.

GlobalTIS: Contains a gigantic ZIP file which includes GlobalTIS and the crack for it. You need this. Start downloading.

TIS2000: Contains a medium sized 7zip file which includes TIS2000 and the crack for it. You need this. Start downloading.

Miscellaneous: Contains two subfolders. Tech 2 Card Writer is a cool little utility that allows you to write the BIN files we discussed earlier to a PCMCIA card installed in your Tech 2. This is great because it means the XP computer you're building right this second doesn't need a PCMCIA card slot of its own. ALL WIN. Download the card_writer.exe file from this subfolder. Memory Card Explorer contains a utility that lets you look around on PCMCIA cards. This is probably not useful for most people. You can download it, but you probably won't use it. Do note that nobody bothered to ZIP up the Memory Card Explorer, so you need to download that entire folder by right clicking it and choosing download. Don't try to download all those files inidividually. That sounds awful.

User Guides: Man, if people read the manuals we probably wouldn't need this thread, so don't start now. Ignore this folder.

WIS: Contains another huge file that is the Saab Workshop Information System installer. This version has been modified so it will run properly on later operating systems. You want this, start downloading.

Depending on your internet connection and Microsoft's bandwidth generosity, these downloads could take a while. For the big ones - GlobalTIS and WIS - I would highly recommend downloading one at a time for maximum throughput. It really sucks when you have a slow download and something interrupts you...

Download all this stuff to your newer/faster computer - don't put it straight on the flash drive. We need to do some things to these files before moving them over to Old Faithful.
hi all
and thank you jvanabra for the perfect write up
i am a mechanic and i have small shop. i dont have too much experience with saabs and i bought my first with problems. so need your help to start working on it. i am pretty sure if i follow every step at the end i will have a nice computer at the end .
i got my tech 2 couple days ago. and started following the steps. i got my computer with com port and installed xp. its time to download the softwares.
the links on this post are broken ( i see that its been a while)
i can find other links everywhere but cant be sure about the versions or if they are working softwares.
so if you can provide the links one more time please, you will help another saab 9-3 to be back on roads.
thank you for your help from now.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hi,

How do you access that? I tried and it just said :-

We're sorry, but [email protected] can't be found in the das541-my.sharepoint.com directory. Please try again later, while we try to automatically fix this for you.

Obviously the xxx is my email.
OneDrive keeps timing out the link that I'm sharing even though I have the setting selected to never expire the link.

Here's a fresh one:

https://das541-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/don_donspargo_com/EsidysGfHwxGtET0_br8SMYBLZUnBgCPlbpYnHAfsVz4Tw

·
Registered
35 Posts
TIS not recognizing VIN

I am having an issue with TIS not recognizing the VIN and it will not let me get the security that I need to be able to change programming.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I keep getting a E843: The entered VIN is not supported???? when I go to do the service programming service I would send Pics but I can't do that yet...

·
Super Moderator
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Essentially sounds similar but my VIN is the correct one. Just says that it's wrong.
You have to attempt something on the tech2 on your car that requires security access. Once you do that the tech2 will say (in a lot more words) you need security access. Then you unplug the tech2 and get security access from the laptop. Then you go back to the car and retry whatever you were doing before and it will let you do it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You have to attempt something on the tech2 on your car that requires security access. Once you do that the tech2 will say (in a lot more words) you need security access. Then you unplug the tech2 and get security access from the laptop. Then you go back to the car and retry whatever you were doing before and it will let you do it.

I did this and when I when I connect it I get to when it recognized the VIN and it says that it is incorrect.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I did this and when I when I connect it I get to when it recognized the VIN and it says that it is incorrect.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Try in passthrough mode for SPS
Car-Tech2-PC all hooked up then use the(Tech2view?) emulator for commands.
Supspect the VIN is still the default on the copied pcmcia card so you may have a comms issue....are using a USB RS232?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try in passthrough mode for SPS
Car-Tech2-PC all hooked up then use the(Tech2view?) emulator for commands.
Supspect the VIN is still the default on the copied pcmcia card so you may have a comms issue....are using a USB RS232?
Yes I am using a usb RS232. I am using my desktop computer. Using the Virtual box. I would use my vista laptop but it is a 64bit operating system and will not run TIS.

I am also having trouble with global and getting it to take the part when I am using the CMD prompts to generate the key. It will not generate the key I have uninstalled and installed it thinking I messed up something as well.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Well I would get a working laptop and load XP
Maybe buy a cheap SSD for your existing laptop.
You can easily get a working XP SP3 image....there some links in this section somewhere.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can easily get a working XP SP3 image....there some links in this section somewhere.
That's actually a great idea. I do have an extra SSD. Would I just use the same .iso that I used for the virtual machine? They should work right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think I got it working!!!! I did! :):):) this was way to long to figure out. I should have just used my old laptop in the first place. Would have saved me a huge headache. Thank you!!!

41 - 60 of 93 Posts