SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading an old thread - I get this 75% of the time when I switch on. I changed the "slug" battery before thjis started happening.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that you need to press one of the buttons several times after changing the battery, but can't remember where;oops:.

Can someone confirm - Either That I have read it, or I'm going mad???

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
SERVICE THEFT ALARM message normally means a faulty alarm sensor, or fault with the siren i'm afraid. I changed the battery in the banana fob without having to press anything else when using for the 1st time.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
You can also get this message if you lock then deadlock the car too quickly, ie dont leave a moment between the first press of the button and the second (deadlock) press.............. :confused:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've got the same issue on my MY01 Aero - only about 10% of the time though.

I understand that the problem is related to the alarm sounder, which lives behind the left hand front wheel liner. The sounder is fitted with a couple of 3v long-life lithium cells which provide battery backup for the alarm in case the main battery is disconnected. When these batteries start to lose power this causes the SID Service Theft Alarm message on startup.

I've read that the fix is either a new sounder from your stealer (apparently it's a few hundred quid but I haven't checked myself) or swap the batteries with a bit of DIY (~£10 & some time). The batteries are soldered onto the sounder printed circuit board (pcb) and it looks a quite straightforward job for someone with a few tools and a soldering iron.

There are some excellent instuctions with pictures on the following link (from another Saab group so I hope no-one minds me quoting it.)

The pcb mounted batteries (2off Sanyo CR17335SET-F) don't seen to be readily available in the UK (they are in the US) but I found what looks to be a close enough alternative at RS (p/n 172-5069). These are 3v and the correct physical size but have a slightly lower capacity (1350mAh instead on 1800mAh) so they might need changing again in three years time instead of four.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to fit them in the next few weeks and see if they fix it.

dan_aero

Re: Service theft alarm

Posted by Daniel Saeuberli (more from Daniel Saeuberli) on Sat, 1 Jan 2005 16:23:52
In Reply to: Service theft alarm, Mark B., Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:24:34 I had the same problem. It was the battery in the alarm module.
I wrote short operating instructions with pictures:

posted by 80.219.201...
http://home.datacomm.ch/saeuberli/files/saab_alarm_batteries.pdf

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew I'd seen it !!:lol:

Page 116 of owners manual - "After fitting a new battery, press the unlock button on the remote control 4 or 5 times in succession, so that the car alarm can recognise the signals from the control". ;)

Don't - of course - know if this will have any effect. I did as instucted last night, but only time will tell, as the message is intermittent.
Went onto the link in the post above - Very clear photo's / instructions, Are you sure Finn or Kermit insn't using a false name?:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
mac_the_dog said:
I knew I'd seen it !!:lol:

Page 116 of owners manual - "After fitting a new battery, press the unlock button on the remote control 4 or 5 times in succession, so that the car alarm can recognise the signals from the control". ;)
Thanks for this Mac, I always wondered why it took a load of presses to get the key/fob to work after the battery has been disconnected ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Service Theft Alarm

Hello,

I got a message on my SID today that said "Service Theft Alarm". What the heck does that mean??? My alarm works fine.

Dave

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Read thread - "Service theft alarm message" about 8 threads down. This is obvously being caused by the summer weather !

We Brits always blame everthing on the weather !:cheesy:

·
Registered
39 Posts
dan_aero said:
I've got the same issue on my MY01 Aero - only about 10% of the time though.

I understand that the problem is related to the alarm sounder, which lives behind the left hand front wheel liner. The sounder is fitted with a couple of 3v long-life lithium cells which provide battery backup for the alarm in case the main battery is disconnected. When these batteries start to lose power this causes the SID Service Theft Alarm message on startup.

I've read that the fix is either a new sounder from your stealer (apparently it's a few hundred quid but I haven't checked myself) or swap the batteries with a bit of DIY (~£10 & some time). The batteries are soldered onto the sounder printed circuit board (pcb) and it looks a quite straightforward job for someone with a few tools and a soldering iron.

There are some excellent instuctions with pictures on the following link (from another Saab group so I hope no-one minds me quoting it.)

The pcb mounted batteries (2off Sanyo CR17335SET-F) don't seen to be readily available in the UK (they are in the US) but I found what looks to be a close enough alternative at RS (p/n 172-5069). These are 3v and the correct physical size but have a slightly lower capacity (1350mAh instead on 1800mAh) so they might need changing again in three years time instead of four.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to fit them in the next few weeks and see if they fix it.

dan_aero
I have no accoustic alarm, i check the batteries seems oke 3 volts.
is it possible that techII can shut off the alarm?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have tried pressing my lock button twice and don't notice any difference between the first and second press (deadlock). Is there some sort of noise or indication that the deadlock is on, and what does the deadlock do????

Dave

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
The lights flash and the horn beeps on the second push of the alarm fob (if programmed in via Tech II as an option). The deadlocks prevent any of the doors being opened, even if you smash the glass and pull the locking buttons up.

·
Registered
636 Posts
This has to do with my SID2, but Im not sure what the message is. I tried fixing it a few months back, because the pixels were messed up. Unfortuanately, I broke it for good, so I can no longer read anything on it. Recently, It has done the tone alert for when something pops up on the screen, but I dont know what it is because I can't see.

Is this something I really need to worry about? I dont think anything too serious goes on the SID, does it?

I plan on replacing it eventually, I just want to spend $$$ on performance first!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mac_the_dog said:
I knew I'd seen it !!

Page 116 of owners manual - "After fitting a new battery, press the unlock button on the remote control 4 or 5 times in succession, so that the car alarm can recognise the signals from the control".

Don't - of course - know if this will have any effect. I did as instucted last night, but only time will tell, as the message is intermittent.
Went onto the link in the post above - Very clear photo's / instructions, Are you sure Finn or Kermit insn't using a false name? :cheesy:
Since doing the "press remote control 4 or 5 times" I have not had a repeat of the message :) Is this just coincidence :confused: ? Or have I solved it ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hank said:
I have no accoustic alarm, i check the batteries seems oke 3 volts.
is it possible that techII can shut off the alarm?
I have build out the alarmunit, battery'sware oke. I mount the alarmunit back to hish place and now i have acoustic alarm. maby an connector problem?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I do not believe US Spec Saabs are equipped with dead locking.

The message on the SID could be a number of things. Have you checked your washer fluid and all your bulbs? Are you near a 10,000 mile service interval?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Key fob

Probably no one interested as this thread is 2 years old, however I have both a REPLACE KEY BATTERY and SERVICE THEFT ALARM messages coming up. This afternoon my siren started to scream spontaneously and locking followed by unlocking the car didn't stop it. I removed the theft alarm fuse, but it continued, presumably showing the internal backup batteries still have some life in them. Eventually locking and unlocking stopped it.

The instruction book DOES say:

"After fitting a new battery, press unlock button on the remote control four or five times in succession, so that the car alarm can recognize the signals from the control."

Bob

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Presumably you've replaced the fob battery and pressed the lock button 4-5 times to identify the key to the car. The alarm runs without battery power so we know it's not the internal battery, this only leaves the tilt sensor and glass break sensor. Tilt can be triggered by parking on a very steep hill/drive, glass break can be triggered by heavy hail stones. You will need to get a fault code read from the TWICE unit to identify what sensor is faulty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got the same service theft alarm code. If I set the alarm on doors only it doesn't randomly go off. Does this mean the glass break sensor or the tilt sensor is bad? If this is the case does anyone know how to fix it? I would think I would replace both sensors to solve the proble or guess and replace one then the other if it doesn't stop. I don't know where to even buy the sensors. I guess a dealership..?

·
Registered
39 Posts
alarm issue

I keep getting the service theft alarm warning, and if I use the fob with one press to lock the car, The alarm will sound every few minutes until i give up and just lock i with the key. any tips?

I recently changed the fob battery if that is any help.

cheers, Drew

·
Registered
720 Posts
I keep getting the service theft alarm warning, and if I use the fob with one press to lock the car, The alarm will sound every few minutes until i give up and just lock i with the key. any tips?

I recently changed the fob battery if that is any help.

cheers, Drew
You may have a fault with the interior sensor, my system did this and I took the sensor out of the light switch and cleaned it up, seemed to improve, if not exactly eliminate, the fault.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts