SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read over on the Cadillac SRX site this message can be triggered by a battery problem. Since I just saw it last week, I'm going to clean the terminals and put the charger on it.

jack vines

·
Registered
11 Posts
Service rear axle

Falcone in Indy (certified Saab Service dealer) reprogrammed an axle control module on mine ($90). Message went away for a few weeks, but then came back. They said there is nothing wrong with the axle, just an error in the logic somewhere.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, good news I suppose.

At least, I don't have to worry about not getting it fixed before the warranty runs out. ;>)

jack vines

BTW, the front three cells of the Maintenance Free battery were slightly low on solution. The rear three are impossible to get at with that weird clamp on. Charging overnight didn't change anything.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
If you have 35-k or more miles and are still on warranty, you might want to proactively have the fluids/filter in the XWD serviced. From what I've read over the last few years, when something goes wrong in the rear diff, Saab changes the entire unit (~$5-k) probably because it was too expensive to get their technicians trained to repair smaller components for such a low number of cars.

This is just one link to look at; there are many more:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-224922.html

... Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just read over on the Cadillac SRX site this message can be triggered by a battery problem. Since I just saw it last week, I'm going to clean the terminals and put the charger on it.

jack vines

Dont ignore this message, that means fluid needs to be added to the rear axle.
I did mine twice already. Dealer charged me $125, but the guy showed me that it was low on fluid. I can even see black dust on it showing that it simply burns out. I was told that many Cadillac owners ignore it and burn the rear axle, it costs a lot to replace.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dont ignore this message, that means fluid needs to be added to the rear axle.
I did mine twice already. Dealer charged me $125, but the guy showed me that it was low on fluid. I can even see black dust on it showing that it simply burns out. I was told that many Cadillac owners ignore it and burn the rear axle, it costs a lot to replace.
The message has never come back on mine after a year or so. The dealer (authorized Saab service) told me there were two fluids in the rear axle. Not sure if one is silicone-based for limited slip purposes, but he claimed the inner fluid was the one that had leaked into the outer fluid. Can't confirm it, just passing on what I was told...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, $1500 later, no more error codes. Evidently, it's just one more baked in weakness of the vehicle.

jack vines

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
Well, $1500 later, no more error codes. Evidently, it's just one more baked in weakness of the vehicle.

jack vines
What did you do for a repair?

·
Registered
500 Posts

jack vines
Just FYI, it's only a "baked in weakness" if you don't swap clean fluid in there every now, and then. VW uses the same AWD system (at least at the back end), and they have a 36k mile recommended service interval. They also put a drain plug in their cover plate, almost like they intended to make it easy to service, jerks...

I have a 9-4X Aero, and an '09 9-3 Aero w/XWD. Both of them get 36k mile service on the AWD system.

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
Just FYI, it's only a "baked in weakness" if you don't swap clean fluid in there every now, and then. VW uses the same AWD system (at least at the back end), and they have a 36k mile recommended service interval. They also put a drain plug in their cover plate, almost like they intended to make it easy to service, jerks...

I have a 9-4X Aero, and an '09 9-3 Aero w/XWD. Both of them get 36k mile service on the AWD system.
Well said, couldn't agree more. ;ol;

1 - 11 of 11 Posts