SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So I went with my 900 for an car inspection today and they found out the following things:

Things to repair:

- Left Hand CV Boot Split
- Repair steering rack oil leak
- Clean under car for Re-Test
- Exhaust 'O' Ring Broken

Thats all, otherwise perfect.
What do you think the price will be to get it repaird.? I have no idea...
Or if somebody wants to help me for some money.. :-]

Let me know
Mati

·
Registered
751 Posts
the steering rack is the only expensive part. IF its ruined. can be fiddely getting out, certainly dirty. you might be lucky and its just a pipe/connection thats leaking

I dont know what you mean by exhaust o ring? do you mean the manifold gasket? or downpipe coupling? if your not sure. where is it leaking

The rest is cheap and easy

as regards to price. that just depends on the garage. If its a worst case senario the parts would be £150. not sure what that is in aussie dollars! there will be a few hours labour involved though

·
Registered
467 Posts
JimmyG said:
I dont know what you mean by exhaust o ring?
Do you mean the rubber(s) that secure the silencer and tailpipe to the underbody? If so, they only cost a couple of quid each and you just put them on by hand over the two hooks. Take a bit of stretching when they're new mind!

All in all, I would be pretty happy with that result, bar the rack but, like Jimmy said, diagnose the source of the leak before you shell out for a new rack. Might just be a pipe or something. Last time I bought a rack was about £80 I think, plus refundable core charge. That was a few years ago though.

Have you searched the forum for "steering rack". Might get some tips.

CV Boot is a pretty easy beginner's DIY job. Plenty of resource on it too. Twinsaabs.com has a good drivetrain section, iirc

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Mati, I do not think there is too much to worry about here, normal stuff for Saabs of this vintage, actually I think you got off pretty light.

A few hundred dollars $300 max, if I were you I would take the opportunity to get these issues attended to and coolant flushed, clicking checked out etc before you go on your trip.

There is Latin Motors in Fyshwick, De Jong motors in Hume, only problem is that now places are closing up for Xmas so it may have to be a local garage job.

Glad to see you are going about getting it registered in your name as discussed.

That Haynes I gave you is going to be very well used by the time you are finished.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
mmustillo said:
Hey,

So I went with my 900 for an car inspection today and they found out the following things:

Things to repair:

- Left Hand CV Boot Split
- Repair steering rack oil leak
- Clean under car for Re-Test
- Exhaust 'O' Ring Broken

Thats all, otherwise perfect.
What do you think the price will be to get it repaird.? I have no idea...
Or if somebody wants to help me for some money.. :-]

Let me know
Mati
Depending on exactly where and what's leaking on the steering rack it could be expensive. If it's just the seals for the main part of the rack they're actually replacable and you'll often see kits of steering rack seals for that job going on Ebay for not much. I think it requires the tie-rods to be removed from the rack and you'd probably need to drain the steering fluid first.

If the leak is from the pinion housing, that could require a complete replacement of the steering rack. My 81 turbo is close to needing that since the pinion housing in it's steering rack is leaking a bit (almost didn't pass blue-slip when I transferred it from ACT to NSW rego), and Saab Serve in North Parramatta quoted me A$990 as the base-cost of the job which includes a remanufactured steering rack and labour.

CV boots are not a big deal and you could do that yourself if you have the right tools. Do you know if it's the inner or the outer CV boot that's broken? Outer ones are easier to do IMHO but you'd need to remove the respective driveshaft from the car to do the work for either the inner or the outer CV boot.

As for cleaning underneath, it might pay to get the underside re-coated with that bitumous stuff again as that's what provides the bulk of the abrasion and rust protection from the underside of the floorpan and chassis members. I don't know where to get that done - perhaps an automotive paint shop could provide some pointers. I guess the other option is to totally clean the underside and remove anything left over and go with a coating like POR-15 but I don't know how that stands up to the massively abrasive environment that the underside of a moving vehicle is exposed to.

As for the exhaust 'o-ring', does that mean the 'seal ring' that sits between the cast-steel exhaust elbow and the top-end of the downpipe on a turbo c900? I needed to replace that on the 81 turbo and fortunately had a new one already. There should be some online auto parts places (not the local retailers though) that carry them - or you might find a new one on Ebay occassionally.

Craig.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

Thanks to all for your information and help.

The O ring, they mean the rubber part that holds the exhaust so it does not vibrate, mine is missing. It costs about 2 dollars to replace.

I will be taking the car to this saab service place, and just give them the paper with all the problems and tell them to fix it..

Also this means that I will not be able to travel over christmas how I planed with my family.. :-(

mati

1 - 6 of 6 Posts