SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
My pleasure! Keep us posted here. It's great to have this online record of what we're all doing. I love this car, but man is it finicky!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Finicky is right! I finally had a chance to add some fluid (about 2-3 ounces worth) and, what do you know.....the light is not coming back on! You nailed it on the head and I thank you so much for all your insight with this. Since this post will most likely be used by others I will list the parts #'s I used below.

I cross referenced these part numbers with a 2010 Cadillac SRX 2.8 for easy ordering.

Seal Kit Part # 13334078 $30.26
Filter Kit Part # 20986573 $31.26
ELSD Piston Part # 22956728 $42.61
Fluid Rear Part # 88863349 $14.98
Fluid Clutch Part # 88863349 $51.15

The Labor cost was $400 from my local shop. I supplied the parts. Definitely better than the $3000+ Park Ave Saab wanted for an entire new rear end. I did print out this link for my local guy to follow, if needed, as well.

http://saabworld.net/f141/saab-9-4x-service-rear-message-displayed-dic-dtc-c0407-doc-id-2867044-a-27498/

I hope this thread helps alot of 9-5 owners save some $ and aggravation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wanted to add a couple pictures and points now that I finally got around to performing a rear clutch fluid and filter change on my 2011 9-5 Aero.

I would add that removal of my exhaust was a must and would recommend purchasing new nuts (GM #11516076) and flange gasket (GM #22816982) when doing so. Mine were rusted beyond belief! Be careful not to damage the studs as not to make it an even bigger job!

I found lots of sludge in the bottom as most have.

The only other information worth sharing is that I purchased the oil (GM #93165387) and filter (GM #93165387) a year ago and have been putting it off. When I opened the oil I decided to pour it into a clear measuring container for reference. I then noticed there were small "cheese like" particles near the bottom. Very similar to the stuff I found at the bottom of the differential! With everything apart I had no choice but to use the new oil but ran it through a fine paint strainer twice to remove all the solid particles.

All is working perfect and no leaks. It held exactly 400 mL of oil. This is after running and topping it off.

Thanks to all for the information to keep these exquisite machines running! ;ol;

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
How long did it take to complete the job? And how hard would you say it is without a lift... i have just over 64k on mine now and really think i need to do this, or pay to get it done!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
It took my mechanic about 5-6 hours to complete the job from start to finish but this included replacing the elsd piston and full seal kit. You actually have to remove the case from the car and put it on the bench to complete.

I would imagine just changing the fluid etc would be much less time even using jack stands. It is pretty tight adding the fluid while on your back but it can be done (I used an old Soft soap bottle with a hose connected to it, just push up and down on the bottle and the fluid comes out and goes through the hose into the rear). It's funny but from my research the fluids should be good to go for up to 100k miles but my seals started leaking at 40k miles which forced me to rebuild it. Otherwise I would have left it alone. It appears that some of AWD's break and some don't. I am of the mind, 'if ain't broke, don't fix it' . Especially since the rebuild only cost me about $600 all in. Good luck!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
It took me about 4 hours but I tend to work slow and meticulous. Raise the rear of the car as high as you can using jack-stands but, as mentioned, but it is still tight working on your back. An assistant would be helpful in getting the exhaust out. Also, the differential will not fall down as far as you think, assuming you leave the driveshaft connected, preventing direct access to the top three socket head screw. I used a 4mm hex driver on a right-angle ratchet.

Don't forget to change your rear differential (limited slip) gear oil (GM #88862624) as well. Mine had lots of black particles and made a huge difference in smooth cornering.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good morning all. I just bought a 2011 9-5 Aero with 33K miles on it. I've been reading through the posts on the XWD and am curious as to what recommendations you have about preventative servicing of the system.

Your thoughts on taking a proactive approach (and what should be done) vs taking a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I am firmly in the camp of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' !

With that said....I do think I would push up the rear axle maintenance from the recommended 100k to somewhere around 50k. I think GM and Saab missed on their mileage calculations.....Congrats on your purchase!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
In 9-3 land, people with the XWD cars have recommended servicing the rear axle every 30K. This would be a full fluid flush, filter, seals, and the piston. Basically this stuff:

Seal Kit Part # 13334078 $30.26
Filter Kit Part # 20986573 $31.26
ELSD Piston Part # 22956728 $42.61
Fluid Rear Part # 88862624 $14.98
Fluid Clutch Part # 88863349 $51.15

Might be a bit overkill, but whenever I pick up one of these cars, that's the service interval I'm going to follow. Cheap insurance vs. a new TC. (Or being stranded somewhere, and I already have an E39 for that :cheesy: .)

So at 33K, I would recommend doing it now if you have no evidence that it hasn't been done before. Just make sure to follow the proper procedure for refilling or you'll end up a little short on fluid and the "Service XWD" message will pop up.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just noticed....the part number I had for the rear fluid was wrong....

Fluid Rear part #88862624 $14.98

Sorry about that guys!! It would be great if a Moderator could fix my above post since I no longer can edit it. (DONE :))

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found lots of sludge in the bottom as most have.

The only other information worth sharing is that I purchased the oil (GM #93165387) and filter (GM #93165387) a year ago and have been putting it off. When I opened the oil I decided to pour it into a clear measuring container for reference. I then noticed there were small "cheese like" particles near the bottom. Very similar to the stuff I found at the bottom of the differential! With everything apart I had no choice but to use the new oil but ran it through a fine paint strainer twice to remove all the solid particles.
;ol;
This really interesting and worth paying attention to. I recently had the full AWD service performed by Park Place in Bellevue, WA. (Parts: $292.99, Labor $350) and received the same 2 warnings within 5 miles of leaving the shop. I could not get back to them for a week or so, but when they were trying to figure the 'why', they noticed that the case of fluid they had in stock had 'floaties' like described above. The manufacture stamp was March (?) 2014, I think. They called over to the Chevy dealer to get newer bottle (s) of the stuff, and presto - no warnings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Read differential eLSE vent hose servicing (help)

Dear Saab pros,
I read all the posts my 2010 9-5Aero with 122k had the clunking. I successfully changed the fluid and filter in eLSD box servicing the box through the filler plug. Had zero leakage when I began. After servicing the car behaves perfectly. I do not have a Saab scan tool. I never ever received warning lights in dash but after servicing I am getting dual warning lights on dash Service AWD And Axle message. I know add fluid in vent hose. That's the rub.... How? I see a white filter like affair after popping the top. Do I pry the white element out? Thank you thank you thank you. The light comes on about every couple of hundred miles.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Dear Saab pros,
I read all the posts my 2010 9-5Aero with 122k had the clunking. I successfully changed the fluid and filter in eLSD box servicing the box through the filler plug. Had zero leakage when I began. After servicing the car behaves perfectly. I do not have a Saab scan tool. I never ever received warning lights in dash but after servicing I am getting dual warning lights on dash Service AWD And Axle message. I know add fluid in vent hose. That's the rub.... How? I see a white filter like affair after popping the top. Do I pry the white element out? Thank you thank you thank you. The light comes on about every couple of hundred miles.
You're topping XWD clutch up through the filler plug. Make sure the car is level.
Filling through the breather hole is used only initially, in order to get to a correct fluid level at first attempt. Not necessary in your case.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Dear Saab pros,
It's been awhile since I did this....the vent line is on the top, backside of the rear end. Remove the line going into it and pour the fluid in there. That's the tough part. I used a soft soap hand dispenser with a hose connected to it. I put the other end of the hose on the vent opening and pushed up and down on the soap dispenser to get the fluid into the rear. It's tight but if you get the rear end up on jack stands it can be done. Just make sure to get the soap dispenser higher than the opening so gravity can help. I only needed to add a few ounces to the rear to get the warning lights to go off. If you have the workshop disc you can see where the vent is. If you don't have one, PM me your address and I will mail you mine. I sold my 9-5 a year ago and I don't need it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Im glad you are still around helping people mlarabia ! btw, I will be changing my oil on Thursday and will atempt to clean that AFL warning light gizmo we spoke about months ago. I will tell you how that went !

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am too old to unscrew half the car to put a seal. I will take the park Ave route or Springfield. Unless they will charge me an arm and a leg.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 63 Posts