SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Appreciate that. Looks like we have the same car. Just goes to prove my point that the Saab certified service center in Dallas is full of crap and afraid to do any real work on my car. I'm not certain I have it nailed down but I think I will change the filter, gasket, and fluids and then drive it and recheck fluids to rule out internal seal failure. Hopefully I'm lucky and it's an external leak. If not I guess I am teaching myself how to replace the pump and seal. Now just need to find the correct filter and gasket kit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Appreciate that. Looks like we have the same car. Just goes to prove my point that the Saab certified service center in Dallas is full of crap and afraid to do any real work on my car. I'm not certain I have it nailed down but I think I will change the filter, gasket, and fluids and then drive it and recheck fluids to rule out internal seal failure. Hopefully I'm lucky and it's an external leak. If not I guess I am teaching myself how to replace the pump and seal. Now just need to find the correct filter and gasket kit.
If it does end up being a leak (presumably internal or external) and you do end up needing the SEAL kit, buy it from ebay and search for 13334078. Confirm with the seller that it comes with ALL the seals. There should be about 10-12 of them. Lots of people have complained on the 9-3 board that 13334078 often comes with just 2-3 seals. This happened to me, as well, when I bought it from one of those random online GM parts places. The bag came torn open. They wouldn't take it back. I had to get my credit card company involved. Was able to get my money back.

And to be clear (and in case others look at this post in the future), for the FILTER kit (filter and gasket), part number 13280043 has been replaced with 20986573. Supposedly the original filter is essentially useless, leading to some of the problems we've been experiencing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it does end up being a leak (presumably internal or external) and you do end up needing the SEAL kit, buy it from ebay and search for 13334078. Confirm with the seller that it comes with ALL the seals. There should be about 10-12 of them. Lots of people have complained on the 9-3 board that 13334078 often comes with just 2-3 seals. This happened to me, as well, when I bought it from one of those random online GM parts places. The bag came torn open. They wouldn't take it back. I had to get my credit card company involved. Was able to get my money back.

And to be clear (and in case others look at this post in the future), for the FILTER kit (filter and gasket), part number 13280043 has been replaced with 20986573. Supposedly the original filter is essentially useless, leading to some of the problems we've been experiencing.
I have a 2010 9-5 Aero so I guess it would be the same kit as it was for yours?? Did you install the seal kit on your car yourself? If so how was it? I have done a lot of work on 96-2003 Saab cars but have never messed with this generation. I am not afraid to try anything if I have some decent references. Wondering if I should just do the seal kit and filter and piston all at once but wondering how time consuming it is and how long the car would be unavailable. As fate would have it, we just gave our daily driver 2003 Saab 9-5 Linear to the daughter so losing the 2010 for more than a few days would be tough.

Appreciate all the help! I could t own a Saab without the support of the people on this site!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 2010 9-5 Aero so I guess it would be the same kit as it was for yours?? Did you install the seal kit on your car yourself? If so how was it? I have done a lot of work on 96-2003 Saab cars but have never messed with this generation. I am not afraid to try anything if I have some decent references. Wondering if I should just do the seal kit and filter and piston all at once but wondering how time consuming it is and how long the car would be unavailable. As fate would have it, we just gave our daily driver 2003 Saab 9-5 Linear to the daughter so losing the 2010 for more than a few days would be tough.

Appreciate all the help! I could t own a Saab without the support of the people on this site!
I'm assuming 2010 and 2011 are the same, although I'm not 100% sure. Eeuroparts.com has been great in helping me find the right parts. They have access to good parts lookup tools.

To do the seals, you need to get the whole unit out of there. This involves removing the wheels, drive shafts, exhaust. Then you have to disassemble the whole XWD unit to get at the various seals. I had someone do it as I don't have the tools or space. It took them about 8 hours. BTW, you can find the 2010-11 9-5 Workshop Information System on ebay for about $25. Definitely worth the investment.

Ditto on the community. Even some of the best Saab mech/dealers left in the US won't help me or give me any useful info. It's really about the drivers!

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I downloaed a copy of the 2010-2011 WIS when I was looking at XWD cars last year. There's plenty of task-based information in it. Then, you need the new EPC for the part numbers.

I would be interested to know what a dealer would say when a customer points out that Saab put all these procedures together in the WIS, and the dealers refuse to use them.

It probably has something to do with a lack or training. It would be much faster to train a mechanic how to swap a complete unit that to disassemble it and repair it. And, that's even before they look at their profit... Ron

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You can always give Ron a call at Park Ave Saab in NJ 201-587-1002. He is the one that did my car and he is super nice and easy to talk to. You can always get the correct parts from him and he can ship them to you. I have found that his prices are about the same as on the web (rear light socket, bulbs, heated seat element to name the ones I have bought through him).

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok....my problem has resurfaced. Noisy pump for about a week and then the service AWD and service rear axle lights come on. I took it back to Park Ave Saab and they told me my pump is fine but the fluids needed to be changed. Charged me $125 to do the service (2 year warranty is for the pump only, of course) and said the car will have to be serviced every year from now on. Well, that was a week ago and my light is back on and my pump is loud as hell! I called them and they said that this has become an ongoing problem with the AWD systems in our cars and the only sure fix is to replace the entire rear end at a cost of $3000. I am beginning to wish I had not bought this car. My question to all you Saab techs out there, can you somehow disconnect the rear drivetrain to make this a FWD car only? I asked the techs at Park Ave and they said that since the light is coming on the car is already only working as a FWD and that I won't hurt it by continuing to drive it. Sounds like BS to me but I'm an old Ford guy who has 0 experience with AWD. Somebody who knows Halidex systems please chime in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok....my problem has resurfaced. Noisy pump for about a week and then the service AWD and service rear axle lights come on. I took it back to Park Ave Saab and they told me my pump is fine but the fluids needed to be changed. Charged me $125 to do the service (2 year warranty is for the pump only, of course) and said the car will have to be serviced every year from now on. Well, that was a week ago and my light is back on and my pump is loud as hell! I called them and they said that this has become an ongoing problem with the AWD systems in our cars and the only sure fix is to replace the entire rear end at a cost of $3000. I am beginning to wish I had not bought this car. My question to all you Saab techs out there, can you somehow disconnect the rear drivetrain to make this a FWD car only? I asked the techs at Park Ave and they said that since the light is coming on the car is already only working as a FWD and that I won't hurt it by continuing to drive it. Sounds like BS to me but I'm an old Ford guy who has 0 experience with AWD. Somebody who knows Halidex systems please chime in.
Sorry to hear it! You say you had the pump done, but did they also do a seal kit? I had my seal kit done 8,000 miles ago, and I'm still going strong. We got some snow recently, and I got to push the XWD system. It was amazing.

I've posted many details about the seal kit in this thread, but here's the takeaway: If there's no external oil leak, chances are the clutch fluid is leaking into the differential gearbox, which causes the pump to throw a DTC. Your pump might be whining because the oil is too low to sufficiently lubricate it. The seal kits cost about $25 (be sure you get one that includes about 10 seals/gaskets). Also get an eLSD piston for $65, which is most likely where the oil leak is occurring. Labor will be about 6-8 hours. Also do a filter kit, about $25 (there's an updated part number for that). And absolutely splurge for the OEM oils (clutch oil is about $80/liter and gearbox is about $20/liter). I've previously linked to a GM service bulletin on this.

In terms of continuing to drive it, the WIS states: for codes C0407 (symptoms 02 and 04), the all-wheel drive system is disabled. What symptom codes have you been getting?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I looked at my invoice and they did not do the seal kit. I have put 21,000 miles on the car since the pump was replaced and I had no problems till the other day. I think if I had an internal seal leaking it would have presented itself sooner....then again maybe I have just developed one. I have no idea. I have an OBDII scanner but no codes present even when the damn service lights are on. How else besides taking it to the dealer can I check the codes?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Wow, yes, much cheaper! Have you put one of these units into a Saab before? I'm guessing all of the mechanical parts are the same. I'm wondering if Buick/Saab/Cadillac each did their own unique ECM software.
Haldex said to keep the Saab ECM (It's the silver thing that says "haldex" and put that in the Buick rear). 2 screws and 2 wires. I bought one of these due to a TTD failure on the front 1/2 of my diff, and before haldex could get back to me, I had already put the buick TTD on the "saab" rear. Apparently this was un necessary, or so the Manufacturer says.

Anyway, short answer is yes. There is a very long post I made related to this on the F/B group, "Saab95ngconnection" where I go through fixing mine. Also photos of exactly what broke, etc. No reason to pay 4X the price, just get the Buick part. It's the same thing. Also, I gotta say... seems like this Haldex stuff is kind of... well, crappy. The components in these compared to say an 80's Audi, this haldex stuff is way lighter duty, and has to cope with even more power so I am not surprised that failures are happening below 100K miles.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That is great info DeLorean. It doesn't look like I have to go that route. I rechecked fluid levels as per krbujak's suggestion and he was spot on. So it does appear I have developed an internal leak! I have ordered all the parts but I am a little worried about the seal kit coming with too few seals. They did not have a pic anywhere to confirm the number of parts inside you mentioned. Oh well...I need to get it done so we'll see how it comes and I will post my progress in about a week. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is great info DeLorean. It doesn't look like I have to go that route. I rechecked fluid levels as per krbujak's suggestion and he was spot on. So it does appear I have developed an internal leak! I have ordered all the parts but I am a little worried about the seal kit coming with too few seals. They did not have a pic anywhere to confirm the number of parts inside you mentioned. Oh well...I need to get it done so we'll see how it comes and I will post my progress in about a week. Thanks for all your help!
Good news! I bought the kit, part number 13334078, from eBay. The seller who I got it from (who was recommended by others on SaabCentral) doesn't have any more listed on eBay. You might message him to see if he has more available. His username is tjgam-2008. There are, however, others selling them on eBay. But you'd have to check with them to make sure it's the full kit. I linked to a photo of the seals that some with the kit. I'm pretty sure this is everything.

I initlally bought a seal kit from GMPartsGaint. They sent me ripped open bags with just three seals and refused to take them back. Had to get the credit card company involved, which issued me a full refund.

Oh!!! And be sure to get a clutch piston, assuming that your car is equipped with eLSD. Not all XWD cars have eLSD. Pistons are about $65. This is the most likely place where clutch oil leaks into the gearbox. It would be a pain if you spent $600+ in labor to do the seal kit, only to have the unit rebuilt again to do the clutch piston.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks Krbujak. I did buy the piston. We'll see how the seal kit comes in. Hopefully it is a complete set. I ordered it second day shipping so I should have it by Friday.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
You have seen this thread, yes? - http://saabworld.net/f141/saab-9-4x-service-rear-message-displayed-dic-dtc-c0407-doc-id-2867044-a-27498/

Your kit pictured has more of some things that mine had, and is missing a few parts mine came with. Oddly enough. For example, there is no filter, and no line fittings (both of which you really should replace) - the extra seals (which I didn't get) you look to have an ECU case seal, an input shaft seal? some retainer clips? an actuator seal, and a big O-ring (not sure where this is supposed to go) - I would make sure to get at least the filter along with this kit. If it's all apart, it should be replaced.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks Delorean. I have seen the thread you mentioned. I did buy the seal kit, filter kit (which may have some of the same gaskets in it), the Elsd piston and the 2 types of fluids. This way I have everything I could need and hopefully will fix my problem. I would hate to spend the $220ish for all these parts and then have to dump another $1200 for an entire rear if it doesn't work so I will say some prayers and cross my fingers!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So all the parts came in correctly and I had the work done. And guess what, the service lights came back on 10 minutes later. It's par for the course. The car is so fantastic with this one exception. I found somebody who will read all the codes for me for $100 and I guess I will let him to make sure nothing has changed or to see what code is coming up now. It's funny but the awd is working perfectly. We have had a lot of snow and the front wheels spin fine and so do the back wheels independently of each other. :evil: car!

·
Registered
74 Posts
So all the parts came in correctly and I had the work done. And guess what, the service lights came back on 10 minutes later. It's par for the course. The car is so fantastic with this one exception. I found somebody who will read all the codes for me for $100 and I guess I will let him to make sure nothing has changed or to see what code is coming up now. It's funny but the awd is working perfectly. We have had a lot of snow and the front wheels spin fine and so do the back wheels independently of each other. :evil: car!
Happend to me too. Have them check the fluid levels. It's very difficult to fill the unit correctly. There is a lengthy process that is aided by the scan tool. But what can happen is that the main clutch is filled, it pumps fluid into the second clutch (which is empty after the rebuild), then the main clutch fluid is too low. I bet if they check the main clutch resevoir, it will be low now. They should fill it up again. If the second clutch is still not full of oil, the main clutch might be low again after a bit of driving.

Hope this makes sense. But assuming they did the seal kit, piston, and filter kit properly, it's most likely just an issue of getting the oil to fill up both clutches and flowing throughout the whole unit.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I hope you are right. Easy enough for me to check when I get a moment. Thanks for all your help!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts