SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my key fob battery the other day as the SID told me to and now it's telling me to service the alarm or something along those lines. It didn't come up before the battery change but the first time I went to start the car it came up right away. The manual tells me to take it in for service.

What can I do short of taking it to someone?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
The batteries and/or the capacitors in the alarm go bad. You could pull it and send it to BBA reman for a rebuild. Check Ebay for one of their auctions to rebuild it. It's located in the front drivers side wheel well, peel back the fender liner to get to it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rebuild Alarm

You can also order replacement batteries and solder them in (the battery store attached mine for free). Also, if you're at all skilled with a soldering iron, you can remove and replace the 3 capacitors that generally go bad. There's a how to floating around on the internet with pics. If you Google it, you ought to be able to find it. The PITA part of the job is getting it in and out of the driver's side wheel well.

When I rec'd that message, it was because my TWICE unit was shorting. Had a big battery drain which then activated the alarm. Immobilizer code was set and I had to install a new (used) TWICE unit and have the car towed so the dealer could remove the immobilizer code that was blocking the car from starting.

You may want to check your drivers side rug to make sure it's not wet under there. The TWICE unit doesn't like to be wet.

Good luck!

Ron

·
Registered
197 Posts
I noticed the alarm going off at various times for no reason. Found the black box under the apron in the front part of the drivers side front wheel. It's a black box and you have to pry it open to get inside. I ordered the batteries from mouser electronics, didn't cost much, soldered them in, then sealed the box and re installed. Took a few cycles and then the warning light disappeared.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last weekend I did my motor swap so the battery was unplugged for 2 days and I havnt gotten that notice again. I'm not sure what's up.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I noticed the alarm going off at various times for no reason. Found the black box under the apron in the front part of the drivers side front wheel. It's a black box and you have to pry it open to get inside. I ordered the batteries from mouser electronics, didn't cost much, soldered them in, then sealed the box and re installed. Took a few cycles and then the warning light disappeared.
The biggest cause of this is the wires in the boot they wear,crack and then split then short out causing voltage fluctuation and thus alarm activation :roll:

·
Registered
739 Posts
The biggest cause of this is the wires in the boot they wear,crack and then split then short out causing voltage fluctuation and thus alarm activation :roll:

I have a few wires going through the conduit to the rear trunk lid that have frayed and disconected. I think it is the ones for the rear trunk light since even with a new bulb it will not light. Could this be casuing my service alarm, and random triggering when the car sits for long periods?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts