SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 93 has about 90,000 miles and I'm wondering when the belt needs to be changed as well as anthing else about now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
mr rx-7 tt said:
My 1999 93 has about 90,000 miles and I'm wondering when the belt needs to be changed as well as anything else about now.
Inspect, inspect, inspect, or check,check,check - Saab's service requirements....written by the GM marketers.
IMO, the belt and pulleys are good for 50K miles; problematic after that..
To really check/inspect, release the tension on the pulleys and try to spin them and wiggle the unit.. it must be tight, no slop, no grind, nor any noise...
There can be some small cracks on the belt; but I'd change the belt and the idler pulley ASAP..
Other items are listed in the owners manual...most of them anyway..
http://www.quasimotors.com/belt_install.htm This will help with the belt..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will do it pronto. Thanks for the info Earth!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,933 Posts
I would change it, as well as the idler pulley. My idler pulley failed taking the belt with it right at 100k. I would also using a Wazee pulley which is metal as opposed to the factory plastic idler pulley
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stamonkey said:
I would change it, as well as the idler pulley. My idler pulley failed taking the belt with it right at 100k. I would also using a Wazee pulley which is metal as opposed to the factory plastic idler pulley
I assume I can get that pulley at an import store??? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered the belt but the guy asked if I wanted just the idler pulley or the pulley assembly. I assume just the pulley which does contain the new bearing???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
earthworm said:
That site makes the belt and pulley replacement look like a job only a rocket scientist could complete. I don't have the "special tool" and I don't know whether to replace one pulley or two pulleys? Is the job that difficult?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,933 Posts
mr rx-7 tt said:
That site makes the belt and pulley replacement look like a job only a rocket scientist could complete. I don't have the "special tool" and I don't know whether to replace one pulley or two pulleys? Is the job that difficult?
You don't need a special tool, just an 1/4" wratchet extention (or is it 3/8"?) and a little bit of brute force as the Wazee pulley is a few mm bigger than the stock idler pulley. What other pulley are you talking about replacing? The ng900 has one extra pulley then the og9-3 that is commonly bypassed, but you don't have that pulley.

Its not that hard of a job, I replaced my idler pulley and belt in about 30-45 minutes with a helper. It is a good idea to have a helper, it would probably be a bit hard to get the belt around the pulleys in the correct manner by yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,293 Posts
stamonkey said:
You don't need a special tool, just an 1/4" wratchet extention (or is it 3/8"?)
not to be picky, but if you want to use an extension, you will need a 1/2-inch extension. Anything smaller does not fit into the socket snugly, and takes a chance (small one, but still to be avoided) of cracking the socket on the tensioner.

I used Michel Briand's web site, which is where the short belt for the NG900 was first documented with pictures:

http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/saab/shortbelt/page1.html

No special tool required, just a nail or an old allen wrench to hold the tensioner arm. I used a bent wire coat hanger to help get the belt in place.

I did not bother to document the belt, because MB did it so well, but I tried to cover the pulleys in detail here:

Belt and Pulleys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PMI said:
not to be picky, but if you want to use an extension, you will need a 1/2-inch extension. Anything smaller does not fit into the socket snugly, and takes a chance (small one, but still to be avoided) of cracking the socket on the tensioner.

I used Michel Briand's web site, which is where the short belt for the NG900 was first documented with pictures:

http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/saab/shortbelt/page1.html

No special tool required, just a nail or an old allen wrench to hold the tensioner arm. I used a bent wire coat hanger to help get the belt in place.

I did not bother to document the belt, because MB did it so well, but I tried to cover the pulleys in detail here:

Belt and Pulleys
What's the advantage of using a shorter belt other than it's easier to find and cheaper?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,293 Posts
mr rx-7 tt said:
What's the advantage of using a shorter belt other than it's easier to find and cheaper?
Opinions vary, but basically you bypass or remove one of two failure prone idler pulleys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone used a kevlar belt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
I remember the Kevlar belt being used for high stress power equipment, 10 plus years ago...Maybe the material is just too expensive..

The problem is the pulleys anyway, I think the tension pressure is too great..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
PMI said:
not to be picky, but if you want to use an extension, you will need a 1/2-inch extension. Anything smaller does not fit into the socket snugly, and takes a chance (small one, but still to be avoided) of cracking the socket on the tensioner.

I used Michel Briand's web site, which is where the short belt for the NG900 was first documented with pictures:

http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/saab/shortbelt/page1.html

No special tool required, just a nail or an old allen wrench to hold the tensioner arm. I used a bent wire coat hanger to help get the belt in place.

I did not bother to document the belt, because MB did it so well, but I tried to cover the pulleys in detail here:

Belt and Pulleys
Ok, I went to do the job and it already has the short belt swap done. So I have to return the belt but what about the pulley? Should I get the Wazzu pulley or will the new stock idler pulley I purchased work fine?

The belt that was on the car was a Hutchinson 6pk 2345
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PMI said:
Your choice, but if you already have it, I would use it.
No size difference in the pulleys?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,293 Posts
mr rx-7 tt said:
No size difference in the pulleys?
I assume you bought the pulley for your year and model??

9-3 and NG900 pulleys are different on some models, same on others.

You can tell by inspection, or look at years and VIN numbers listed on eEuroparts.com, for example:

p/n 4356127 (NG900 and some 1999 9-3 models)
p/n 4967907
p/n 4968590
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,293 Posts
If your model has the "short belt" as you posted above, there is no lower idler pulley. The tensioner pulley fails much less frequently. Unless you have reason to believe it is bad, I would leave it alone.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top