SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah. My serpentine belt snapped today as I was driving. Immediately my power steering went, the lights dimmed a bit, and my engine began to overheat. I was on a multi lane highway, so I had to drive about 3/4 of a mile before I could pull over.

Am I totally screwed? Getting the car towed tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
No your not, well it doesnt seem like it anyways, get a new belt put it in, takes about 15-20 min, 3/4 of mile isnt that far, so hopefully your good

·
Registered
204 Posts
That happened to me on my '96 900. Car was fine but make sure you check all the idlers before putting the new belt on. One of the bearings seized on mine and thats why the belt snapped.

·
Registered
692 Posts
My belt broke because the tension damper was goosed. I had assumed a fair bit of flapping about when idling was 'normal' With new damper is was solid as a rock.

If the guy has changed it recently I'd check the pulleys and change the damper as a matter of course or it will happen again.

Wife nearly drove through Starbucks coffee window when ours went (no bad thing - although car would have got covered in cr$p coffee). - Car had got hot but not total overheat at the time.

In fact it's the only breakdown failure I've had on the Aero in 4 years ownership - happened at about 140k miles. Again, if you are keeping the car for a bit you need to change more than just the belt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts