SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post so here goes:
SAAB 95 - 1999, 2.0 lpt, automatic, mileage 103k, fully service history and serviced at correct intervals : timing belt changed at 86k.
I have had a rattling noise coming from the Serpentine belt / Pulley , Garage recommended a new Tensionser as when pressure was put on the casing the rattling stopped..... £176 down the rattle is still there all other pulleys look OK and do not make sound. Suggestion was it could be the water pump, but again do not know, I would not like to go down this route if it could just be an idler pulley any thoughts on this would be welcome, before I replace the AC , PAS, etc etc,
Thank you in advance - James :(

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The 2.0 doesnt have a "timing belt" :confused:

But I bet its a pulley some are recommended for change when the serp belt is done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
mine did the same

mine had the same nasty rattle, but putting a new serpentine belt tensioner did the trick. no more rattles -- no more 270$ in my wallet though. :confused:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
James,
I concur with Chris' comments.
Idler pulleys like to be swapped every 60k or so.

-------

Saab 95 Newbie said:
timing belt changed at 86k.
Saab 95 Newbie said:
Sorry i meant the timing chain ;oops:
What was changed at 86k?
Was it the timing chain or the ancillary belt?

-------

chempez said:
mine had the same nasty rattle, but putting a new serpentine belt tensioner did the trick.
... V6 ...

Added confusion :roll:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clarification

The timing chain was replaced at 86K, the serpentine belt and the tensioner have been replaced this week, the rattling noise (cliicking clicking) has got worse since the tensioner has been replaced suggesting its another pulley, the garage suggested a water pump but the idler pulleys from the replies seem to be the first port of call but I am going to the main dealer today for a diagnosis, fingers crossed,
Thank you for all your help and I will tell you all of the outcome,
Thanks James :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Saab 95 Newbie said:
The timing chain was replaced at 86K, the serpentine belt and the tensioner have been replaced this week, the rattling noise (cliicking clicking) has got worse since the tensioner has been replaced suggesting its another pulley, the garage suggested a water pump but the idler pulleys from the replies seem to be the first port of call but I am going to the main dealer today for a diagnosis, fingers crossed,
Thank you for all your help and I will tell you all of the outcome,
Thanks James :)
Easy way to check if that's not the timing chain by any chance... Take the serpentine belt off....then start the engine..if there's no rattling at all, it's one of the pulleys/tensioners. If the rattle persists, you have a problem, then it's the timing chain.
BTW I'm surprised you had to have the timing chain replaced so soon! Did they replace just the chain or the guides, tensioner and all the stuff as well? Did they detetmine what was the cause of the premature wear of the timing chain or did they just replace the chain without fixing the real cause?
IMPORTANT - if you do run the engine with no auxiliary drive belt on, the water pump, alternator and other important stuff won't work so just run it for 30-60 seconds
Then start spinning everything and listen out for rattles (I know they're bound to be louder under load but sometimes it rattles like hell even if you spin the pulley or tensioner).
Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
95uk said:
Easy way to check if that's not the timing chain by any chance... Take the serpentine belt off....then start the engine..if there's no rattling at all, it's one of the pulleys/tensioners. If the rattle persists, you have a problem, then it's the timing chain.
BTW I'm surprised you had to have the timing chain replaced so soon! Did they replace just the chain or the guides, tensioner and all the stuff as well? Did they detetmine what was the cause of the premature wear of the timing chain or did they just replace the chain without fixing the real cause?
IMPORTANT - if you do run the engine with no auxiliary drive belt on, the water pump, alternator and other important stuff won't work so just run it for 30-60 seconds
Then start spinning everything and listen out for rattles (I know they're bound to be louder under load but sometimes it rattles like hell even if you spin the pulley or tensioner).
Let us know what happens!
Taking off the timing belt is a PITA... (EDIT: I ment serpentine belt... First post messed me up... :roll: )

I had a rattle for a while too, I just oiled the idler pully and it went away. Now it just squeeks. I'll replace it eventually.

·
Registered
68 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
Taking off the timing belt is a PITA...
I didn't suggest taking the timing belt, just the aux belt. I've done it with help from a friend. Took about 5-10 min. As far as I remember I used a wheelbrace to loosen up the tensioner and used a nail to lock it in place, then wiggled the belt off. Not that difficult.... I didn't like the result, in my case it's the timing chain.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
95uk said:
I didn't suggest taking the timing belt, just the aux belt. I've done it with help from a friend. Took about 5-10 min. As far as I remember I used a wheelbrace to loosen up the tensioner and used a nail to lock it in place, then wiggled the belt off. Not that difficult.... I didn't like the result, in my case it's the timing chain.
I meant to say serpentine belt, I guess if you have a second person it may not be as bad... :cool:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Probably and idler pulley.

Had the same thing and a serp belt, short belt change out, and replacement of two of the idler pulleys, no more rattle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Repaired!!

Thank you for all your help, but it turned out to be the crankshaft pulley - the Crank damper collapsed, it failed on the way to work, a smouldering belt and seized pulley, that impacted the oil pump, which led to the oil pump breaking the housing etc, so the following parts fixed it, Oil pump housing, 2 seals, screws, Vibration damper, pump kit and lock rings £262 and £150 for labour, :( so in the space of 2 weeks I have had a new tensioner and the new damper, but she purrs like a dream. :lol:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Sorry about the cost but well done getting it sorted ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts