SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

97 900 SE 2L Turbo. I've got a pretty loud noise coming from the belt area (kind of a rattle/scraping noise). My stethoscope says it's coming from the upper idler pulley, although I suspect the tensioner pulley and alternator pulley might not be doing so hot as well.

My question is, shall I buy a new tensioner assembly or just replace the tensioner pulley? I had planned on getting a new alternator from NAPA online (only $130) so I'm not worried about replacing that pulley right now.

·
Registered
18,502 Posts
To verify, pull the belt off the tensioner (with the engine dead cold) and start the car. The noise should be gone. That confirms it's something belt driven. DOn't run the car for more than a couple minutes like this as you have no cooling, alternator, etc.

Next, with the belt off, wiggle each pulley in the circuit and look for excessive play. If you don't have the short belt mod, now is the time to do it.

The tensioner doesn't need replacement unless it has a specific problem, although the pulley might.

·
Registered
18,502 Posts
I think it's the 6PK2455 belt. My preference is GatorBack belts from Goodyear.

Maybe someone here can confirm that... or you can google this forum for that length.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I run the Napa Micro-v belt- Part # 060966 for the short belt mod.Ran it for years, troublefree, correct length

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
I think it's the 6PK2455 belt. My preference is GatorBack belts from Goodyear.

Maybe someone here can confirm that... or you can google this forum for that length.
I have a 6PK2465 GatorBack on my car. As long as the belt tensioner can take up the slack, the longer belt will be a little easier to thread onto the pulleys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts