SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done any internal engine upgrades?

In my previous car (Vauxhall VX220 / Opel Speedster) I had the Ecotec 2.2 litre engine, which is the same basic design as the Saab engine (it is the GM Global Ecotec engine). I looked at fitting forged con rods, lighter pistons and getting the head polished and the crankshaft balanced up. Also had plans to install a lighter flywheel to improve response.

With the 9-3SS, would these modifications bring the same sort of gains, or does the Trionic system spoil any fun that we could have?

It seems surprising that we can't get more power from the engine, without resorting to huge boost pressures.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I would have figured with all of these ecotech racing parts more or less readilly available on the market that someone like BSR would have already changed out the stock parts with the "performance" ones.

I tend to agree with you in that inside of every new SAAB is very grouchy Swede that doesn't like his engine operating parameters to change without approval.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Is that the reason why the car revs very slowly when idle (put your foot on the gas and takes quite some time for RPM to pick up?)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I wouldn't doubt it is part of the reason, the other parts being turbo lag (obviously, if in gear..) and the throttle by wire system (maybe that angry Swede is interferring again...)

·
Registered
128 Posts
The SAAB engine already has upgraded pistons and rods and a different head than the other ecotec engines.

From what I have read, unless you plan to go over 300 hp, they should hold up.

·
Registered
563 Posts
partsmanager said:
The SAAB engine already has upgraded pistons and rods and a different head than the other ecotec engines.

From what I have read, unless you plan to go over 300 hp, they should hold up.

yes yes over 300 would be nice lol :D

think lighter pistons would be the best.. . and a blueprinted engine of course :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts