SaabCentral Forums banner

Seperate washer pump for headlights from windsheild?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SaabVT 
#1 ·
Ok the three sprayers for the windshield work great, but neither of the ones on the headlights seem to work. Is there a seperate pump for the headlights than for the windsheild? Not seeing any puddles of washer fluid on the ground when I operate the washers?

#2 ·
usually to get them to work you need to pull back the stalk for two to three seconds and it should spray. If it doesnt you may not have enough fluid in your reservoir to enable the pump to work.

if its filled and you tried all the above then the pump is attached to the washer reservoir within the wheel well/bumper.

#3 ·
usually to get them to work you need to pull back the stalk for two to three seconds and it should spray. If it doesnt you may not have enough fluid in your reservoir to enable the pump to work.

if its filled and you tried all the above then the pump is attached to the washer reservoir within the wheel well/bumper.
I will try all thouse things, Does anyone have have a diagram of the front bumper/washer lines pumps etc.?

#4 ·
I think the headlight washers only activate every third time the windshield washers spray. As stated before you also need to hold the stalk for a few seconds. A second pump is used for the headlights. I believe it is the one closest to the ground mounted to the washer fluid reservoir.

#5 ·
Ok the three sprayers for the windshield work great, but neither of the ones on the headlights seem to work. Is there a seperate pump for the headlights than for the windsheild? Not seeing any puddles of washer fluid on the ground when I operate the washers?
For the washers to function, the headlamps must be "on" lowbeam setting and then the headlamp washer will function after every three cycles of the windshield washer per my manual. Good Luck demosan

#6 ·
Take off the directional light on the drivers side. You will see a line that carries the fluid to the wipers on the headlights. There is a little black valve that is used to prevent the fluid from draining back. These usually get clogged/gunked up. You can pop the top off the valve and clean it. Worked for me.

#7 ·
Thanks

Take off the directional light on the drivers side. You will see a line that carries the fluid to the wipers on the headlights. There is a little black valve that is used to prevent the fluid from draining back. These usually get clogged/gunked up. You can pop the top off the valve and clean it. Worked for me.
More great info, guys. So doe steh top just pull off or do I need a tool to take it off?

#8 ·
Found out why and it's bad

Ok, well tried all the tricks including taking the anti drain back apart and seeing if it was gumed up it was not. Pulled the fender liner out , and it looks like the outlet/barb for the headlight sprayer pump got broken off, so the GM stealer ship just put a screw in the hole left in the sprayer pump and disconnected the power to the pump.:evil:

Can I just replace the headlight sprayer pump?

#9 ·
Ok, well tried all the tricks including taking the anti drain back apart and seeing if it was gumed up it was not. Pulled the fender liner out , and it looks like the outlet/barb for the headlight sprayer pump got broken off, so the GM stealer ship just put a screw in the hole left in the sprayer pump and disconnected the power to the pump.:evil:

Can I just replace the headlight sprayer pump?
yes you can, but if im not mistaken you might have to take the whole bumper off in order to get to it

#11 ·
Fixed?

Shortlid, did you get the pump out? If not, just remove the wiring connector, then squeeze the hose clamp & pull off the hose, then just pull up on the pump. It's just a pressure fit. Looking at a spare I have, it may be easier to remove the electrical connector lock after the pump is out. Did you fix the problem? If time allows, I'll post pix I took of the pump pulled up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.