SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, so the hose in the picture needs replacing, i went and picked up a regular radiator hose and cut it to size but im worried about the heat from the turbo. will this be an issue? also, 1998 SAAB 900SE

·
Registered
131 Posts
The pipe is part of the turbo charger system so air is what passes through that pipe. You should be fine, it gets warm but not to the same kind of temp as a hose in the cooling system. But there is pressure in that pipe so it would be best to use a hose that can withstand some pressure. I have a piece of silicone pipe there with some nice clamps on it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pipe is part of the turbo charger system so air is what passes through that pipe. You should be fine, it gets warm but not to the same kind of temp as a hose in the cooling system. But there is pressure in that pipe so it would be best to use a hose that can withstand some pressure. I have a piece of silicone pipe there with some nice clamps on it.
i have no clue where to find some silicon pipe. the hose that is there now im assuming is OEM and it doesnt seem any different from this hose i have. will using a radiator hose be a bad decision? im about to drive this car 800 miles to the coast, and the hose in the pic is starting to crack so im a bit worried about it.

also im assuming its easy to fix right? just pop off and replace? or do i need to do any type of work to maintain pressure. ive never dealt with a turbo before so this stuff is competely new to me

·
Registered
131 Posts
The hose you have should be fine as long as it isn't super soft and flimsy. Very simple install. Loosen the two clamps remove pipe and fit the new pipe. Use some wd40 or something similar on the clamps so they loosen easier since you want to re-use them. If that hose is leaking the car will still run but you will lose a lot of boost and will probably throw a check engine light because of the leak.

Silicone pipe should be available at any performance auto parts store. if you find a store like that near you just take the piece you have and ask for the same size. It is nice to use silicone pipe because it will never need to be replaced again.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hose you have should be fine as long as it isn't super soft and flimsy. Very simple install. Loosen the two clamps remove pipe and fit the new pipe. Use some wd40 or something similar on the clamps so they loosen easier since you want to re-use them. If that hose is leaking the car will still run but you will lose a lot of boost and will probably throw a check engine light because of the leak.

Silicone pipe should be available at any performance auto parts store. if you find a store like that near you just take the piece you have and ask for the same size. It is nice to use silicone pipe because it will never need to be replaced again.
thank you youve been a great help. ill search for some silicon one when i get the chance

·
Registered
131 Posts
No problem, just make sure you take the extra rad hose you have and some tools so you have a backup in case you have issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts