SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, my 1999 9-5 engine blew yesterday and now i have no car. this was my first car. it has 118,000 mi. on it and is in ecellent condition except the engine. i believe the best way for me to make some money back to buy another car is by selling the parts off seperetly and not just the entire car. is this true? is there a good market for just parts like on ebay? is anyone interested in saab parts? all the seats are in great condition

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
You could try the free classifieds here on Saab Central or perhaps eBay - but not the forums :nono;

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im just wanting to hear id its worth selling completely or in parts. and if people sell them on ebay. i dont know how to deal with this:cry:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Why not buy a used engine & put it in? Just curious... If the car is in otherwise excellent condition, why spend the money on a new car?

And if you do part it out, and you have the HK stereo, do you have left & right front speakers? Mine are buzzing a little. :(

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was told 4000 to replace the engine. sooo thats for sure not a happening. im not sure if its HK. i have 3 speakers that ive looked at before on the dashboard and there are no speakers where the back window is, if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Erm as I said, no trading via the forum please :nono;

·
Registered
222 Posts
sk8er11fl said:
i was told 4000 to replace the engine.
Yee-IPES! Ok, that answers that.

As for getting money back, you're probably better off parting it out, yes, if you want to deal with the effort involved in pulling things off and shipping them. When the transmission started to go on my old Jetta (and I was also told the front axles needed replacing), the most I got for it on Ebay was $1300, and the car was in otherwise immaculate condition, about six years old, 120K miles on it. I'm sure I could've gotten more for it in parts. The exhaust was a stainless techtonic job, almost new, and I probably could've gotten $400 for that alone. Neuspeed SofSport springs...To me though, it just wasn't worth it to have it sitting in my driveway, keep pulling parts and shipping them. Little things, sure, but I wasn't shipping exhausts and suspension parts, etc.

If you're still paying for it though, I'd be tempted to part it out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they told me 300 was the most i would get for it. so im wondering if its worth it to part it out. or should i just sell it and not bother with it

·
Registered
222 Posts
You could always post it on Ebay with a blown engine, give details on the rest of the car. Put a reserve price on it for $1500 or however much it would make it worth it to you NOT to part it out, and I'll bet someone will buy it and haul it away.

If you're worried that there won't be enough bids to hit the reserve, just start the bidding a little lower and do a "buy it now" for $1500 or something. Someone might scoop it up.

Mechanics love to buy things like this (that's who eventually bought my old Jetta). They put a new engine in it and can "flip" it locally.

G

·
sk8er11fl said:
so, my 1999 9-5 engine blew yesterday
What exactly blew? It can't be repaired?

If the rest of the car is in excellent shape, $4000 for a rebuild engine that can go for a long time could be worth it. It is probably not much savings compared to buying a similar car but at least you know the condition of this one and you'll have a new engine.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Had the same situation with my last 9000, rebuild a blown gearbox or sell for parts\scrap car. Get some quotes (plural) to rebuild the engine.

I decided to fix it and sell it as a functioning car, got back my money, was easier to sell that way.

Then again, if you have the time and place to part it out you could be ahead of the game.

I'm sure you can get a re-build for less than what your first quote is for.

CSE_20

·
Registered
313 Posts
Honestly the time and energy involved in parting out a car is not worth it in many cases. Figure if you can get $1500 for the hole car and $2000 in peices, its worth it to just sell it all together. I've always had better luck selling whole cars unless they were rare or hard to find...

My choice, would be to find a used engine for $2K inpect and clean it up and you and a buddy go through and install it.. You'll learn a bunch and save a bunch of $$$... Even at $4K for a new motor, how much will it cost to get a new to you car? Will you know the condition of the components?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts