SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
back in oct last year I rear-ended another vehicle (my fault) and did some damage to the front of the green 2.1 sedan. Fortunately nothing structural.

To cut a long story short the insurance company has dicked me around and the claim is still not resolved, so I'm repairing the car myself and once it's repairing, dumping the existing insurance company and insuring it elsewhere. The insurance company refused to authorise repairs, and the repairer allegedly convinced the insurer to 'cash settle' but that's where the insurance company has gone quiet.

I have a replacement upper member aka radiator (convector - they're not radiators!) support aka apron panel to go in and replace the one I bent. It's been fully restored, rust-treated and repainted scarabe green to match the original.

Obviously bonnet (aka hood) comes off (thankfully not damaged), and everything else the front panel attaches too needs to be unbolted or at least put out of the way. I got very lucky that the impact with the other vehicle was very low down (below the line of the bonnet) so the a-pillars did not get any damage.

Does the front bumper need to actually be unbolted and fully removed or just loosened if necessary?

I've already got the headlights off (both are damaged) and the front corner lights (not damaged). I have a set of spare (not as good condition) headlights from another same-year build 2.1 car (black 3ck).

Any rust i come across will be dealt with when the bent apron panel is taken off.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the replacement apron panel after full cleaning, treatment of surface rust where necessary, and full repainting using BCS Auto Paints (a Sydney-based afternarket auto paint supplier) code 230 aerosol 1k cans.

pic page

which is going to replace the damaged one shown here

pic page

that was the core part of the damage from my bingle in late Oct last year (car has been parked up un-driven since then except for a trip to a body shop for assessing damage).

I'm going to take the opportunity when I remove the bonnet to also take out the air filter box and charcoal cannister as I found surface rust in those areas to deal with. Easier when stuff is out of the way.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No worries - at least the bumper is easy to remove or at least loosen.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More progress has been made.... I've sorted out surface rust in places not normally accessible and just waiting for a day when I have enough time, it's not raining, and it's not very high temp, to be able to do the next stage before I fit the replacement apron panel and get the re-assembly under way.

pic page

Craig.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As of today, the front end of the car is all completely repaired with zero help from the insurance company and all the sourcing of repair parts and work done by myself. It runs again, and except for some headlight issues (subject of another thread) the front is better than it was when I bought the car almost a year ago.

pic page

I'm currently working on pre-existing issues with the rear bumper, RHR body moulding piece, and inspecting/treating any hidden rust that I find (very little, all surface). Since I'm working on the same area as the body bingle done by the previous owner's son (which I still haven't had fixed) I was wondering what options there are to repair the damage. I'm more than likely going to employ a local body shop but if I wanted to do the repair myself I'm curious what methods could be used.

For those not aware, this is the area of damage that needs to be fixed:

pic page

It basically still looks exactly like that a year from when I took that pic.

There's no access to it from inside that I've been able to determine, at least not with any tools I have. I don't know how to get the metal to 'pop' back out. I don't know if a slide hammer approach would work (but that's something I could try myself).

Craig.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts