SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is the same job as my other post, but i figured it presented enough problems to warrent its own thread..

after barely being able to get the caliper off, (felt as though the breaks were still depresses) i went to go retract the caliper piston. i tried the same method i had used for the front brakes... a C clamp. It worked quite well for the fronts..but wasn't working for the back.. i even tried a brake pad separator tool, no go.. and NO my E brake isn't on :(.. learned that after watching some guy in the parking lot at work try to do it and bend a c clamp THEN reallizing his ebrake was on.

SOO ... any ideas guys?.. or is it just time to replace my calipers?

thanks

-=tristan=-

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
There's a threaded rod inside the rear piston that acts to automatically adjust the e brake. Whether the e brake is "on" or not you cannot simply press the pistons back into the calipers on the rear brakes due to this adjuster.

Your caliper is not seized.

You either have to turn the piston or screw the rod "in". I think there's an allen bolt under a rubber cap on the caliper cylinder that allows you to retract this rod and so retract the piston. If you cannot find it e mail me and I'll look it up in my shop manual. I only have the manual for 86-88 cars but the brake mechnaism should be the same for all model years. Anyone else know for sure?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yes, there is a small plastic cap or an metal hex plug that you remove, then turn the adjuster out until you're able to fit the new ones. Once you do, turn the adjuster in until the pads touch the rotor, then back the adjuster out about 1/4 of a turn. You'll need an allen hex bit, it is a small one, maybe a 4 mm I don't quite remember.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh.. well then.. i'm stupid :D.. thanks guys..i'll check that out tomorrow.. think i'm still gonna replace all 4 because they're solid rust after 240K :D .. but thanks guys!!

-=tristan=-

·
Registered
485 Posts
When you replace them the procedure for adjusting the rear still applies, you will notice it if the adjustment is off.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
raske9k said:
Yes, there is a small plastic cap or an metal hex plug that you remove, then turn the adjuster out until you're able to fit the new ones. Once you do, turn the adjuster in until the pads touch the rotor, then back the adjuster out about 1/4 of a turn. You'll need an allen hex bit, it is a small one, maybe a 4 mm I don't quite remember.
can anyone confirm the size of that hex bolt?.. thanks :)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Yes it is 4mm if we're talking about the one to retract the caliper.

BTW, don't feel too stupid about trying to use a G cramp to retract it, I did just the same a few weekends ago. :)

David.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts